• Register Today It's free!

best shackles for lifting rear?

HSlough

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 four door
Whats the best route to go when lifting the rear of a first gen 4 to 5 inchs?

4" of suspension lift in the rear is really best done by new springs..

In "theory" you could try to combine the War-153 shackles (1 3/8" lift) And a Franken pack (f-150 spring leaf mixed with Explorer spring pack) or AAL. That will get you upwards of 4".

If you want 5" or more look into doing a spring over conversion (SOA). You basically weld spring perches on top of the axle (right above your orig. spring perches) and put the springs on top of the axle. That will get you 5" or more depending on how thick your springs are and how tall the spring perches are.

With the SOA (and possibly the 4" lift) you will need to get a new rear driveshaft made.. I paid "around" $200 or so for mine..

I used the RuffStuff 8.8 conversion kit which is u-bolt, plates and the spring perches. The RuffStuff kit allows you to move the axle back 1" too which helps keep the tires out of the doors.

Not a how to, but a thread from when I did the conversion.. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391276

There are kit's to do a spring over conversion but I don't know if they are still made and personally I think it's better to have the perches welded on instead of just bolted onto the orig. spring perches..

~Mark

Back