"Best" tires for an Explorer Interceptor? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Best" tires for an Explorer Interceptor?

New here on the forum, new PIU owner. Winters here in the Reno, NV area tend to be all over the place weather wise (so I am told, new living here too). I live out in a rural area and want a dependable snow rated tire that won't be mad at 70 deg F days. I also will be using this vehicle to travel all around Northern Nevada when my company car won't handle the weather. I have two full sets of wheels with RS-A tires, going to sub one set with these new tires for winter. From what I've read here and elsewhere, I'm considering the Eagle Ultra Grip GW3 245/55R18. Found a set @ $834 installed, out the door (after $60 Goodyear rebate). I wanted to try the new Eagle Enforcer tires, but there is literally no other feedback on them online except this thread. Think I should go Ultra Grip? (RS-A's are going back on in spring/summer until all 9 are worn out).

Thanks, Mark
The Defenders are quite a bit quieter than the Ultra Grip and handle the rain well. Winter is coming, so will find out about snow soon enough. My (limited) understanding is that the Defender is an update on the RS-A's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The reason I am leaning towards the Ultra Grip is since they are all-weather rated (mountain/snowflake) like you mentioned and have decent ratings. I think I can deal with the noise (hopefully). Most of the roads around here are noisy anyway.

I'm hoping to go with one set year-round eventually, but seems a waste to not use up what I have, especially since I have a second set of wheels to do winter tires on. It would be easier if the winters here were consistantly cold and icy, I'd run some Nokian Hakka's and call it good!

Wish I could wait for updates on the Enforcers for winter conditions, but I need to get this done before winter hits and every tire shop gets busy. I will definitely consider them when I replace my set-up down the road.

Thanks for all the information in this thread! I'll be tapping into the forum more soon.

The reason I am leaning towards the Ultra Grip is since they are all-weather rated (mountain/snowflake) like you mentioned and have decent ratings. I think I can deal with the noise (hopefully). Most of the roads around here are noisy anyway.

I'm hoping to go with one set year-round eventually, but seems a waste to not use up what I have, especially since I have a second set of wheels to do winter tires on. It would be easier if the winters here were consistantly cold and icy, I'd run some Nokian Hakka's and call it good!

Wish I could wait for updates on the Enforcers for winter conditions, but I need to get this done before winter hits and every tire shop gets busy. I will definitely consider them when I replace my set-up down the road.

Thanks for all the information in this thread! I'll be tapping into the forum more soon.
There are more than a few all-weathers out there in the PIU size. Sounds like you may want to consider the Nokian WR G3.

I don't know what your winters are like compared to MI, but I used the RSAs last winter without issue. I plan to use them again this winter, and will keep using them until they "wear out".

Just to clarify, the Enforcers ARE "All-Weather" rated with the mountain/snowflake. But as you note, not much info out there about them and my snow review will have to wait a month or two.

KayGee, I had kinda passed over the Nokian WRG3 245/55R18... not sure why, it does look to fit my requirements and has good reviews. Tread life looks to be the only downside according to some. Price is good as well @ $160/tire. Going to look into it more.

Eric Z, I think the Enforcer will be my next year round option as a true All-Weather, if you and others review it well in the long run.

Thanks again.

So now I remember why the Nokian WRG line is a bit confusing. They have an "SUV" version, but it isn't available in 245/55R18, but the standard (non-"SUV") model is. Any thoughts on that?
I could change sizes if the SUV model is superior I guess... this is available: Nokian WRG3 SUV 235/60R18XL 107V BSW.

So now I remember why the Nokian WRG line is a bit confusing. They have an "SUV" version, but it isn't available in 245/55R18, but the standard (non-"SUV") model is. Any thoughts on that?
I could change sizes if the SUV model is superior I guess... this is available: Nokian WRG3 SUV 235/60R18XL 107V BSW.
The RSAs that come standard on the PIU are a SL (standard load) 103 load index passenger car tire. You can replace with a higher load index (>103) or an XL tire (reinforced/stiffer sidewall to support extra load at 42 psi instead of standard load at 35/36 psi - both SL and XL still have a '4-ply' sidewall rating), but it is not necessary. I wouldn't get caught up in any marketing hype (like "SUV" or "non-SUV") when it comes to tires. The primary concerns are size, speed rating and load index.

The WRG3 in 245/55R18 is a 103 load index tire with a W speed rating which meets/exceeds the basic tire specs for the PIU.

That is good info, thanks! I'm going to try out the Nokian WRG3 245/55R18.

I think you want to be looking at the Nokian WRG4 as that comes in 245/55 R18 with 103 Load Rating and V Speed rating same as Goodyear Ultras or RSA or Defender.

I believe both WRG 3 & 4 models in 245/55R18 are 103W. "W" is a higher speed rating than "V" on the charts. You can always go with a higher rating, correct?

Local tire shop matched the best online price for me @ $170/tire, so I ordered the Nokian WRG4 245/55R18 103W BSW. (According to him, the WRG3 in this size is no longer in stock at the Nokian warehouse in Illinois, and may be discontinued).

Sunny and 70+ deg F forecast for at least the next 2 weeks, but I'll be ready!

Local tire shop matched the best online price for me @ $170/tire, so I ordered the Nokian WRG4 245/55R18 103W BSW. (According to him, the WRG3 in this size is no longer in stock at the Nokian warehouse in Illinois, and may be discontinued).

Sunny and 70+ deg F forecast for at least the next 2 weeks, but I'll be ready!
WRG3 for $140.50/ea, in stock, no tax and free shipping -> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nokian-WR-G3-245-55-R-18-103-W-Tires/50296468 or https://www.amazon.com/Nokian-WRG3-All-Season-Radial-Tire/dp/B01MT8AVVM (says 20 in stock)

vendor direct -> Nokian WRG3 245/55R18 103W BSW Tires

Yeah, I wanted to buy local if possible. He matched the price on the newer WRG4 from the internet, so I had him order them for me. Nokian "factory" warehouse (where he orders from) was showing no stock on the WRG3 in the 245/55R18 size. But there is definitely still stock available at most resellers.

Update:
Nokian WRG4's performance are above my expectations! Got 7-8" of snow overnight two days ago here north of Reno, NV. Drove to Winnemucca that next morning through chain/snow tire restrictions on Hwy 80, never felt any traction loss traveling at ~ 55-60 mph. Been driving around Reno in the snow leftovers, and had to come into town on ice this morning. Had maybe a split second of traction loss on a hill in the ice, but AWD kicked in and hooked up. Braking on the ice was also nice and grippy. I don't drive aggressive, but it felt nice to have the extra traction if I had to avoid an obstacle (like the dozen or so stranded vehicles I encountered).

These are the first snow rated tires I've had, but I would highly recommend them based on performance. Now to see how tread wear is over the season.

Obviously just my opinion, but here are my ratings, 10 being best.

Traction on ice: 7.5
Traction on packed snow: 9
Traction on powdered snow: 8
Traction on wet pavement: 9
Traction on dry pavement: 9 (better than RSA's)
Braking Ice: 8
Braking Snow: 9
Braking Wet: 9
Noise: 8.5 (when dry, slight whine with windows open at high speed 70+)
Tread Life: TBD (Nokian 60k Warranty)

Overall: 8.7 ish

Final observation: These are better on snow, than on ice. But if the tread life lives up to advertised 60k, these may be my year-round tires (after my RSA's are finished off).

Safe Winter travels all.

Meanwhile here in Florida we're trying to convince command to add BDU shorts to our next uniform order. Yes, in December/January.:)

I've been very happy with my Continental DWS Extreme Contact, however the "new" Goodyear Enforcer tires have caught my eye?
Any reviews? or feedback for them out there?

I've been very happy with my Continental DWS Extreme Contact, however the "new" Goodyear Enforcer tires have caught my eye?
Any reviews? or feedback for them out there?
I have a set on my 2015 PIU and now have about 5k miles on them. Much quieter than the Ultras that were on and handle wet, dry and cold at least as well as the Ultras. Only light snow and ice so far this winter, but handles that better than Ultras. Time will tell as to deep snow and tread life.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a set on my 2015 PIU and now have about 5k miles on them. Much quieter than the Ultras that were on and handle wet, dry and cold at least as well as the Ultras. Only light snow and ice so far this winter, but handles that better than Ultras. Time will tell as to deep snow and tread life.

Thanks, good to know, my dealer had some difficulty finding them, however the price was reasonable, in fact, somewhat "cheaper" than the Continentals?
Stay Safe

Back