Best way to remove surface rust on frame and undercoat? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best way to remove surface rust on frame and undercoat?

Precision

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
I have surface rust on my frame, I want to undercoat it to stop anything from getting problematic but what is the best way to remove the surface rust and best way to go about protecting the frame?

i'm not a fan of undercoating (for any reason) but Eastwood Co. sells a rust encapsulator/neutralizer, i think it's called POR-15, that you paint over the rust and then you can follow that up with whatever you like. google it, other places sell it too.

Best way to remove surface rust is to sand it off. But when you sand it, make sure you paint over it so there's no bare metal. Then undercoat it.

I've been undercoating my truck for years. If it wasn't undercoated, it'd be in the scrap yard by now.
Rust belt problems..

I have surface rust on my frame, I want to undercoat it to stop anything from getting problematic but what is the best way to remove the surface rust and best way to go about protecting the frame?

Use large scrub brush with hot water/dish soap. Clean with wax & grease remove. Wire brush and/or wire wheel on grinder. Clean again with wax & grease remover. 2 coats of Rustoleum rust defender. Job complete.

Back