• Register Today It's free!

Best workshop manual?

ChrisHeapy

Reaction score
City, State
Macclesfield, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT (UK version)
Who publishes the best w/shop manual for the Explorer? I recently got a Chilton's but don't reckon much to it, the diagrams are not clear. All those **warnings and **cautions are beginning to piss me off too (like don't let your cat/dog drink the antifreeze - really! see page 3-39)

I've always bought Haynes in the past but I've been unable to locate one for the explorer (tried Amazon - no delivery). How about the official Ford manual?

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get the ford motor company manual. it will cost more now, but this is what they teach the dealers repair guys with....and they also designed the truck, they have some insight another company doesnt

Guess you are right, I remember buying a Kawasaki shop maual for a bike I had some time ago and it had the actual part numbers in it - that was useful for ordering parts.

Chris

Originally posted by jimabena74
get the ford motor company manual. it will cost more now, but this is what they teach the dealers repair guys with....and they also designed the truck, they have some insight another company doesnt

Where does one get this manual?

Thanks in advance....

I think you have to order it from Ford thru your local dealer.

Originally posted by JDraper
I think you have to order it from Ford thru your local dealer.

I once saw a website for these manuals, but, as usual screwed up and didn't bookmark it.

Anybidy have it?

If you really want to dive into the nits and nats
Go with the Helm, very pricey.... $160 and change.

You will need a least one foot of clear space on your bookshelf. It two huge volumes! Aguably, more detail that you will ever use. But it does elimnate all doubt and leaves little guessing.
As mentioned, do check ebay, I did see the CD version once at about 1/2 the price.

What do you need a repair manual for? This place is loaded with genuises and all the combat stories know to man!

(or "WOman", dare I start getting hate mail)

Back