• Register Today It's free!

BFG all terrains in snow?

ParkerRocker

Reaction score
City, State
Hayden, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer Sport
i have a '92 explorer sport and am running 31x10x50 bfg all terrain tires on it with stock lift at 35 psi (i think, i havent checked as of late) its my first snow with these tires and they are sucking so far.

reviews say they should be doing WAY better than they are, what pressure should i run em at? i also have 2 100lb sandbags in back...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well are you in snow or ice?
I think these are the best tire next to the Super Swamper IROK for the snow. I had a set of 31-10.5-r15's when my ranger was stock and would usually run them around 8psi when out playing and 35psi in town. Now I have toyo mt's and have to run them really low (4psi) to get any good performance out of them.

35 PSI is a good ball park pressure for daily driving. But with snow on the ground you should let a bit of that pressure out to gain a larger footprint for traction. Try 28 maybe go higher, maybe lower from there. You have to experiment with it.

And like Damonkr hinted at. If you are trying to drive on ice it doesn't matter what tires you have, if they don't have studs or chains they are spinning.

Also, the rubber compound of the tire itself is a huge factor in how much grip they get in the snow.

harder rubber, less grip.

dedicated snow tires are of a very soft rubber, and if you use them for daily driving in the summer, you will be buying a new set come fall. they just can't hack the heat, but LOVE the cold

i have a '92 explorer sport and am running 31x10x50 bfg all terrain tires on it with stock lift at 35 psi (i think, i havent checked as of late) its my first snow with these tires and they are sucking so far.

reviews say they should be doing WAY better than they are, what pressure should i run em at? i also have 2 100lb sandbags in back...

Well they are not good on snow is a fact. for a good snow tire you have to sipping (AT/S have next to none.

run at a 45-50 pounds helps. with a 10.50 tire width is good for floatation (sand, dirt, mud ) but not snow you need to cut through the snow to get down to pavement.

I ran them for years in winter i would put 50 pounds in them and that helped. When i replaced them this year i went to Kelly Safarhi M/S/R's and they eat snow for dinner.

only thing i can say is try cooper discoverer a/t if u really want a good grip i have trird them out in snow and they do fairly well.

much needed pointers.

i need to ask if anyone has had a problem out of the 4r70w 2wheel drive transmissions? i have added glasspacks, a cold air intake and headers and thats it. im sure that wasn't enough to break it.if anyone possibly could give me a suggestion on wheather its the tranny or maybe the rearend.

i need to ask if anyone has had a problem out of the 4r70w 2wheel drive transmissions? i have added glasspacks, a cold air intake and headers and thats it. im sure that wasn't enough to break it.if anyone possibly could give me a suggestion on wheather its the tranny or maybe the rearend.

Well what is it doing or not doing??

what are the symtoms

...This is off topic so you should start a thread of your own...No one will be able to assist you with those problems as this thread is about tires..;)

All my friends with BFG ATs kick my mud terrain's ass in the hardpack snow...

...BFG a/t's...That is all I run on my ranger year round, including the ice and snow season...:biggthump

deco7wboomer059pb3mv6.jpg

All my friends with BFG ATs kick my mud terrain's ass in the hardpack snow...

X2 the sentiment when I had my 33' BFG AT's on my explorer it did quite well in the snow. Hmmmm somewhere around here there photo's to prove it.

Tbars you have any of the aforemention photo's?

...I only have the pics with Froaders old tires or the trip when the light rack came off..:dunno:

...I only have the pics with Froaders old tires or the trip when the light rack came off..:dunno:

aw well there around here somewhere but it was worth shot i know there's a video too i think Boomer12 has it......

i am driving on snow.
so im hearing both to up the pressure so it will cut through the snow and to lower the pressure so that it will have more surface area. somebody suggested 50 psi? isn't that a little high for my midsize suv? also idk what these tires are rated at? i'll lower the pressure to 28ish for now to play, until somebody can answer my question. Thanks for the help!

I might have to end up sciping, im just cheap, but i suppose wrecking would be more expensive than the $50 that would cost...

My dad runs them on his truck and they still do great in the snow, even with little tread left. He runs them at the max recommended pressure on the tire, which is 60 psi on his. He has a higher load rating tire though, so yours will be lower. I would almost think a slightly higher pressure might help you. I run about 40 psi with my crappy goodyear tires and they still good and wear good.

...My tires are rated at 50 max but in the snow I run them at 40-45 usually...When you get into the softer stuff offroad, like snow, mud, and such, I air down (20-25) for the bigger footprint and traction..Then air back up when I can get to 40mph or higher...

...Carrying on board air is a good thing to have as you never know what the conditions might bring...;)

Its very commont to run lower tire pressure in the snow or mud. It flattens the tire out like a pancake for a bigger footprint. As for running higher pressures i dont know how this could help??? Someone mentioned siping. This is a verry good idea to increase your traction. Most tire stores can do this for a small cost (it was free for me when i bought my new tires.)

Hope some of this helps. Now it time for some snow wheeling for me (First snow here in Cottage Grove last night!):D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its very commont to run lower tire pressure in the snow or mud. It flattens the tire out like a pancake for a bigger footprint. As for running higher pressures i dont know how this could help??? Someone mentioned siping. This is a verry good idea to increase your traction. Most tire stores can do this for a small cost (it was free for me when i bought my new tires.)

Hope some of this helps. Now it time for some snow wheeling for me (First snow here in Cottage Grove last night!):D

in an off roading yes lower tire pressure is better, were floatation is needed, As the more tire area on the ground, the less weight per square inch of contact the less chance of sinking down and getting stuck.

But all things being equal, in on road situtation you do not want to float on snow you want to get thru to solid ground. the less snow between your tires and the road surface the better.

Back