BFG vs. Goodyear? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BFG vs. Goodyear?

I am planning on replacing my stock 235/75/R15 tires (General Grabber's that were the Firestone replacements - not sure that was a good thing) in the next few weeks. It seems like most members here favor the BFG's over just about anything else except maybe the Goodyear's.

I'm planning on doing a TT and either shackles or add-a-leaf to get enough clearance for either 31's or 32's. I'm not sure if the 32's will fit with only the 2" lift. Found a couple threads about it for people with 16" rims, but nothing on the 15's. Change rim's isn't an option at this point either.

So what's your favorite tire in a 31" or 32" (if it fits)?

Oh, should mention that I'm sorta thinking of the new BFG MT's -- but the AT KO's would probably work too. The Long Trail AT looks too much like a street tire.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what's up rammar. I have a 97 XLT 4x4 with 30x9.50x15 BFG AT KO and they are good tires, very low street noise (can't hear them over music anyways), decent off-road performance too, but thick mud stops them quick. The new BFG MT's are real nice tires cause they last a long time and make low road noise for an MT and are also one of the best you can buy for rocks. But if you compare goodyear wranger MTR's to the BFG, the goodyear smokes it. I have a friend with 31x10.50x15 on a TJ and let me tell you man we have done crazy stuff in it. We've done circles around people stuck with BFG's in gumbo mud. They are just under the super swamper in the mud and equal to BFG in rocks. If you want an all around awesome tire you can't go wrong with a new set of MTR's. 31's will easily fit with TT and shackles/add-a-leaf and maybe 32's. My next set after I lift mine will be 31x10.50 MTR's. Have fun.

Thanks!

Anyone else have a different opinion?

I had 31" BFG AT KO's for a while and just recently put on some 32" MTR's and they are much better on wet pavement. I STILL have not got to test them off road yet. But I have only heard good things about them. I will be testing them soon in the sand at Silver Lake.

Here's a pic of it.

Attachments

• t.jpg
    t.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 257

Those are great rims. :)

Two questions about the 32" tires: Did you have to do the body lift to get them to fit or do you think they might have worked with only the TT/Shackles. Also, do they need a 15 x 8 wheel? My stock teardrops are 15 x 7 so I don't know if a 32 x 11.5 will fit on them anyway.

Oh, and this might throw me out of the 32" range anyway... I measured the other night and have about 3/4" of sag in the rear drivers corner. I've done some searching and it looks like it might be correctible when I adjust the Torsion bars on the front end. If not.. I may use an add-a-leaf.

There is no way mine would have fit with out the body lift and aftermarket rims. Even my 31" fit great with stock rims before the lift...after new rims...they rubbed. The offset makes a big difference. I'm not too sure id you can put an 11.5" on a 7" wide rim.

So if I were to get the 31x10.50 goodyear MTR's, there shouldn't be a problem putting them on my ride with just a tt and shackle lift? How is the ride for just regular city/highway driving on the MTR's?

If your putting them on stock rims you shouldn't have a problem. The ride is fine...They are a bit louder than mt KO's but not overbearing.

Hey guys, with the MTs, do you do a lot of highway driving? I have wanted to get the MTs but really can't justify it since I do most of my driving on pavement. What kind of tread life do you expect to get out of them. If I could get around 40,000 miles out of them I would be ecstatic. I have heard some guys say that the BFG TA KOs got around 60,000 for them with normal tire rotations.

Just wondering.

This is just my opinion but I would go BFG MT's. Why you ask? BFG is a proven tire and I refuse to pay for the damn Good Year name. It is rediculous what the charge for thier tires. What, because they are the only tire NASCAR uses they think they can break it off in my ass.
I had relacement Good Year Wrangler HT's on mine and had something go through the side wall and they wanted $130 for a 235/75/15. On top of that they had disconued the HT so I got some BFG AT' 30X9.50X15 for
$113 a piece.
Like I said this is just my opinion. I like the looks of the MTR's I just won't pay what they want for them.

No matter what you do...SHOP AROUND!! My neighbor got some BFG AT KO's about 1 month ago on his RAM they were a p265..or something equivlent to 31.7" or 31.5"...anyways...he paid $800 for them. I just got these for $630 and these IMO are much better tires.

What kind of price difference are the MTR's compared to the BFG KO's? Will it be that much of a difference.

Desert rat sells the BFG MT 31x10.50x15 for $129.99 ea.
The Good Year MTR 31x10.50x15 are $159.95 ea.
In the 32x11.50x15 the BFG's are $139.99 and the MTR's run $178.99.
To me that is quite a difference in price.
I hope this helps with your decision.

On discount tires website...there is a $40 difference per tire. Also...your comparing an All Terrain to more of a Mud Terrain. Plus...the highet bid I got was from sears at $940. Then discount at $820. I ended up calling place to place saying "I just got this price from so and so". I ended up at discount for $630.

I got them mounted and everything (not shipped from some website) out the door for $157.50 a piece..not that bad.

Just did some price checking, there is a tire distributer close by that will sell me the 31x10.5x15 in Goodyear MTR's for $136.99 ea, and BFG MT's for $134.59. They don't stock the BFG's so there's not much of a discount.

I also stopped by Sam's Club at lunch and figured why not check out their tires while I was there. They don't stock either of these, but can order them. For all 4, mounted, balanced, lifetime rotation, tax.. out the door its:

$655 for the Goodyears and $585 for the BFG's. That's not on anytype of sale either.

The guys there swore the BFG's are a much better everyday tire than the Goodyear - last longer, ride quieter, etc. Told me something I didn't know... the BFG is made my Michelin. I didn't believe him until he showed me the packing slip.

So its sorta a toss up.

SSIKORA, what type of add-a-leaf did you use? Did you have any sag before hand? and did it fix it?

Thanks

I just went to a local spring shop and had them add an additional stifffer spring. My rear did have sag and this did help.

As for the tires, if you dont do much offroading then I would go for the KO's. As for wear...people still don't know how long the MTR's will last but as of now it looks promising. The MTR's are suppost to be one of the best self cleaning tires around. In the MUD/CLAY/SNOW...IMO..the MTR's will surpass. But if your looking for a fairly agressive street tire. Then go for the KO's. I drive 30mins street, and 30mins highway each day with both tires...and I really don't notice a difference besides the humming.

the wear on the MTR's is nice. my friend got his last summer and he peels out at like every turn and stop sign and chirps them on gear changes all the time and they are still in pretty good shape. The sidewall on the MTR's will get you through a lot of stuff after most of the tread is gone anyways. It's your call man but I still say go for the MTR's. SSIKORA, how rough is your ride dude, I love what you've done with yours, hope mine will look like that soon.

Thanks...It rides like a truck should, but it doesn't hurt my ass after driving it either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back