BFG TA K/O vs Goodyear Wrangler AT/S | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BFG TA K/O vs Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

I am considering getting 265/75/16 tires for my 99 Limited. I expect to do lots of snow driving. Havent really been off-road yet. Everyone likes the BFG all-terrain T/A KO. I like (only from research on my own) the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S. There was a good description of the Goodyears at www.tirerack.com

Just looking for some more opinions before I buy.

------------------
Greengoose,
FORD=Fantastic Off Road Driving
http://www.geocities.com/greengooseman

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Greengoose,
You really can't go wrong with either of the two tire you mentioned. I have used the Goodyears and liked them. I presently have BFG's and like them too. Go with what you like. They are both GOOD.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Greengoose,

I have the Goodyears on my truck now and have had no problems but... My local Ford dealer said that I was lucky to get the 40,000 miles I did get on my tires and that they have had problems with them. I am now in the process of buying new tires and I am going with the BFG's. Just a little FYI

Eric

I just bought a set of 33x12.50 Wrangler AT/S last week. Now I have two sets of these, one on the little truck and one on the big one! What a difference compared to driving the Thornbirds on the street! I am very happy with the AT/S, as you can see I got another set.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

WILL THE 267/75/16'S FIT. DO YOU HAVE THE FACTORY RIMS, IF SO I WANT TO MOUNT THE 265/75/16 DUELLER M/T THAT I HAVE ON MY 99 RANGER , ON MY EXPLORER.

After doing alot of research on my own, I decided to go with the BFG Long Trail TA. After doing my research in Consumer Reports and the tests that they put the BFG, Mich, Good, through the BFG Long Trail TA was best overall in snow, dry, rain. They are a very quiet too. Check out this months Consumer Report and SUV all terrain tires.

Greengoose,
I looked into both of these tires before settling on the KO's. The tire guys told me that one big advantage of the BFG's if you do any offroading is the three ply sidewalls. The Goddyears are not quite as stong in this area but are said to provide better hydroplaning resistance. But, my BFG's don't hydroplane at 75 in rain. Thought I'd share.

Hey first of all i was very pleased with my BFG's second i wouldn't buy a consumer reports magazine if i was given a playboy centerfold ...... well maybe ... but i wouldn't read it.!!!!!!!! they faked the rollover, topheavy crap with the Isuzu trooper and the Suzuki Samurai!!!!! if they faked these because they just didn't like them what else will they sink on?!!!! it was proven on the Trooper and has been either proven or extremely scrtinized on the Suzuki. i personally stick to tire tests in teh four major off road magazines. 4WD and SUV being my favorite. just my opinion, dodger

I got my new BFG AT KOs (32") yesterday and while waiting I noticed that the treadwear ratings on the BFG (440) is much higher than the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S (360). I think that explains why the Goodyear don't last as long.

Great topic. Its a decision I'm gonna have to make pretty soon also. My friend just got some KO's and they look pretty nice so we'll see how they wear. I have no experience with the AT/S's, but on my F150 I have RT/S's and I have 80K on them and they still look ok. Just thought I'd give my input.

------------------
1994 Ford Ranger 4.0L 4x4 5spd
Mods: K&N, 63mm T-body, Superchip

Two months ago I bought the Bridgestone Dualers A/T and absolutly love them. I don't know how well they will wear but they have handled all my driving conditions with great confidence. And they look really tough too!!
Had a set of the BFG's and the Bridgestones blow them clean away.
Oh and one more thing. The test Consumer reports ran on the Trooper and Suzuki are right on. I would not drive or ride in either of these vehicles... For fear of dying in one of these vehicles!!!

Sincerely,
Darknight

Hey darknight, i don't wan to get into an argument , but... i have known many samurai owners that never so much as fishtaled not to mention getting it on 2 wheels or worse flipping it, no never have. second there is video tape of a CR driver in the trooper saying "i can't make it do it, do you want me to keep trying?" that is a load of horse ****. i have also known several trooper owners that never had trouble with their trucks , they were proven to be negligent in the tests and are currently being sued. say what you like but they were not right, they were proven wrong, another point on the trooper was the track it was given, a vette lost traction trying to run the same track. i'll never buy their magazine or support them.!! thanx for letting me voice my opinion and facts. no hard feelings.

dodger

No hard feelings taken, but in that issue of Consumer reports all of the SUV's were put through the same manuvers as the Trooper and they all had no difficulty with them. As far as the law suit goes that Isuzi filed against Consumer Reports. It was thrown out by the Judge. Peace.

Darknight

Back