Big White - Ford Racing Powerdyne Installation Thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big White - Ford Racing Powerdyne Installation Thread

MuscleJunkie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
So just starting this thread to document (that I'm finally getting around to) my Ford Racing Powerdyne Supercharger installation on Big White - a 2000 Ford Explorer Limited with a 5.0L Engine, OBX headers, some Saleen XP8 bits and more.

Started ordering parts. On the way are:

Accel Ford Super EDIS Coil Pack 1989-99 Ford V8 & 4-Cylinder​

Part Number: 110-140018 (x2)​

Ford Performance Fuel Injector Flow Rate: 47 lbs/Hr @ 39.15 psi​

Part Number: 397-M-9593-G302 - 8 Injectors​

SCT BA-2600 90mm MAF Meter with Aluminum Housing

Walbro GSS342 Intank Fuel Pump 255LPH High Pressure (Universal)
SKU: GSS342

More to come soon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I look forward to seeing that blower come to life in that truck.

FYI, I would say avoid the Accel coil packs. I had two new ones on my Mercury and developed a miss a year later. The coils were the last thing I got to checking, and it turned out one was bad. I only had about 6000 miles on them, and they were under two years old. I put the OEM coils back on and they were fine. So I've put Accel on my black list, that was expensive for poor quality parts. I would now prefer OEM, MSD, or Screamin Demon if they still make them. They are the same coils as all modular engine coils.

FYI, I would say avoid the Accel coil packs. I had two new ones on my Mercury and developed a miss a year later. The coils were the last thing I got to checking, and it turned out one was bad. I only had about 6000 miles on them, and they were under two years old. I put the OEM coils back on and they were fine. So I've put Accel on my black list, that was expensive for poor quality parts. I would now prefer OEM, MSD, or Screamin Demon if they still make them. They are the same coils as all modular engine coils.
Noted about the Accel. I'll run this by who I am working with on the install.

Thanks Don!

Noted about the Accel. I'll run this by who I am working with on the install.

Thanks Don!
Ok - changed the coils to (x2)
MSD Ford DIS 4 Tower Coil Pack
Part #8241

Thanks for the heads up Don!

Lasoda had me put the factory coils back on said they were the best
The $$ are on the shelf
Sucks but....

Lasoda had me put the factory coils back on said they were the best
The $$ are on the shelf
Sucks but....
Lasoda?? What problem did you have with aftermarket coils?

So just starting this thread to document (that I'm finally getting around to) my Ford Racing Powerdyne Supercharger installation on Big White - a 2000 Ford Explorer Limited with a 5.0L Engine, OBX headers, some Saleen XP8 bits and more.

Started ordering parts. On the way are:

Accel Ford Super EDIS Coil Pack 1989-99 Ford V8 & 4-Cylinder​

Part Number: 110-140018 (x2)​

Ford Performance Fuel Injector Flow Rate: 47 lbs/Hr @ 39.15 psi​

Part Number: 397-M-9593-G302 - 8 Injectors​

SCT BA-2600 90mm MAF Meter with Aluminum Housing

Walbro GSS342 Intank Fuel Pump 255LPH High Pressure (Universal)
SKU: GSS342

More to come soon
Nice parts

Lasoda?? What problem did you have with aftermarket coils?
Lasoda is my tuner
No problems just his rules
I confirmed with him he likes factory ford coils idk why
You're v8 application may be different

Lasoda is my tuner
No problems just his rules
I confirmed with him he likes factory ford coils idk why
You're v8 application may be different
Thanks for the info!!!

The OEM coils are very good, there isn't much to gain any longer with aftermarket coils like 30+ years ago. I was changing mine for simple age and maintenance, that didn't work.

So received injectors (8x) today. Apparently they are the same used in the 2007 - 2010 GT500

CM-5136 7R3Z-9F593-AA (Motorcraft)
83E9A13B-E75A-45CE-A257-BE8F26B5B71E.jpeg

Here is a very rough markup what the new LCD gauge display should look like. This display will match exactly all of the other LCD displays from the factory in my Limited (Center Console Message Center, Overhead Console and AC Control) plus it will dim on the same dimming circuit as the other displays.

What do you all think? Boost and Fuel Pressure or something different? Many options available. I decided on the 2 X 16 Character display which would fit nicely in the area in my mockup. They also have a larger display but it would be a taller and wider and I think not as OEM looking but would fit on the panel but not within the factory black area
test.jpg

Cluster from Saleen XP8 99-0044 arrived for donation to Big White. Also new rear bump stops ready for modification.
CAD91B88-B2D1-4747-98B1-2323D136D9B3.jpeg
E200B628-6A51-4C1B-BE18-88F7D7699570.jpeg

Please replace the two little sections of rubber high pressure fuel line when you do this, they are likely as old as the vehicle.

I did mine twice as the pump I ordered was a kit and they gave me low pressure line which blew-out...............................................
Wow. Thanks for the good tip. Added it to my list. Thank You!!

I had one of those create a lean condition in my 99 SOHC truck, the code 0174 I think it was. One of the short hoses had a split in it. Most pumps include new rubber line, which needs to be high pressure of course.

2A381289-03B5-4EC4-83B0-5E9E346CFDE9.jpeg

Ignition wires arrived. Others in the past have had good luck with these on similar applications that use the Torque Monster or OBX headers.

That's a good choice. The key product item is the heat shield, the TM headers are made to be very close to the wires. There are three best brands IMO, the Ford and Taylor are similar in high quality, and priced closely. The best are Magnecor, they have the best silicone insulation, and top quality terminals etc. But those didn't come with heat shields, I reused my OEM pieces. Those have lasted since about 2006 on my Mercury, not driven for about ten years. Few people have bought those, I'd guess due to the price, about $145 when I got them. I have Ford wires to go onto my last 98 302, they should last fine in stock/mild engine bays.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a good choice. The key product item is the heat shield, the TM headers are made to be very close to the wires. There are three best brands IMO, the Ford and Taylor are similar in high quality, and priced closely. The best are Magnecor, they have the best silicone insulation, and top quality terminals etc. But those didn't come with heat shields, I reused my OEM pieces. Those have lasted since about 2006 on my Mercury, not driven for about ten years. Few people have bought those, I'd guess due to the price, about $145 when I got them. I have Ford wires to go onto my last 98 302, they should last fine in stock/mild engine bays.
Given that I've got nearly brand new Motorcraft wires that I bought before blowing the engine up a couple of years ago, they're worth giving a shot with the OBX headers before stepping up to Taylor/Magnecor?

Back