Bigger Fuel Tank? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bigger Fuel Tank?

TimR211

Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded the fuel tank in their Explorer? I pull a travel trailer with my '93XLT 4x4, and I really get tired of stopping for gas every 130-140 miles. It seems like there's some space under the left rear passenger section that you could fit an auxilary tank in. Anyone ever try this? Would love some info and sources if you have any...thanks!

TimR><>

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I remember reading on this site about someone who installed a second tank where the spare tire goes. Just to a search on this site for fuel tank or gas tank or something like that.

Here's a thread

You all think you've got problems? My '94 Navajo took 19.7 gallons of fuel, my '01 Sport? 17.5!!! In looking under the spare there is at least 8 inches of headroom above the spare tire. JC Whitney has a whole section on gas tanks. One of them is a small Bronco unit. BTW, I found one of the latest threads in question by searching gas tank:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=17985

One other thing. NO one talked about ripoff pumps that are setup to charge you for 23 gallons while actually delivering 20 instead. I've been filling up this 5 gal container for the Ford 8N tractor at the same place for years; I was never able to even get past 4.85. Then one day I went down there and filled it up as usual. It took 5.7 gallons! The owner said the pumps had just been checked. I left and won't be back. Checking with the state people, I found out the real story; complaint after complaint after complaint. Beware the other thing they do to the gas - water!

I imagine that sort of thing is going on pretty hot and heavy right now with prices the way they are. 20/20 or Date line had done a story on this a few years back and they(the inspectors) are way understaffed. They found stations that were installing inside switches to turn on/off the correct settings. Most were mom & pop stations, but they found a few of the name branders doing it also. Heavy fines and constant checking is the only cure. They aslo had pumps set up according to the way the inspectors check. Since they were checking in 5 gallon increments, the stations had them rigged to deliver 5(n) gallons, but would give you an incorrect amount if you delivered between 5 and 10 or 15, 20, ..etc..

Report this to your local BBB and let them take care of them.

Aero Tank info

Here's their page on Fords. There is a 30 gallon tank for 90-96 Explorers. Now if they have an aux tank for the '01 it's not listed.

Dead Link Removed

Here's another that makes tank in plastic:

http://www.mtscompany.com/

[Edited by bluescat on 09-20-2000 at 06:33 AM]

Pulling one out

I need to get to the sending unit on mine to fix the gas gauge. How hard is it to pull off the tank (the sending unit is on top)

Back