Biggest A/T tire size on stock 17 inch rims for a 2006 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Biggest A/T tire size on stock 17 inch rims for a 2006 Explorer?

1998Explodasport

Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I did a search but only came up with 18in wheel sizes or lifted trucks. I am back with a 2006 Explorer and it needs new tires and wanted to know the biggest I can put on it with no issues, truck is completely stock with stock 17in rims. I read that 265/70/17 would fit with no rubbing but I can not find the post I read that on and just wanted to confirm those will fit before I order.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a search but only came up with 18in wheel sizes or lifted trucks. I am back with a 2006 Explorer and it needs new tires and wanted to know the biggest I can put on it with no issues, truck is completely stock with stock 17in rims. I read that 265/70/17 would fit with no rubbing but I can not find the post I read that on and just wanted to confirm those will fit before I order.
I have the general grabber at2 in that size and they only rub at full lock to the left. And only on the plastic guard. Can easily be fixed, but it doesn't bother me because I almost never hear it. Expect bad mpg and speedometer being off

What kind of drop in MPG did you see? Did you try to have your speedometer reprogrammed?

What kind of drop in MPG did you see? Did you try to have your speedometer reprogrammed?
I had a 2-3mpg decrease. Had it reprogrammed slightly by a buddy who worked for ford. Worth the decrease, plus it's only money so who cares. Looks really good with the bigger tires. With speedometer being off it shows I have a 4 -5 mpg decrease but if I calculate it it turns out to be maybe 2.5

I'm running Deans Tires A/T's that are 265/65/17 and they look pretty good with zero rubbing issues. I think I'd opt for the 265/70/27 on my next set, a little bit of rubbing at full lock doesn't bother me especially if I can remedy the issue.

Back