billet grille on a 97 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

billet grille on a 97

I was looking at billet grilles online, and I was wondering how you would pop the hood, it doesnt seem like you can reach your fingers to pop the latch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The pictures are probably from a 98+. They had the hood catch in the space under the hood when it pops, not in the grill. I believe you would need to make some sort of extension bracket to hit the catch.

some people just keep a screw driver in their glove box and use that.
You know, stick it in the grille to reach.

Sorry for the six-years-late reply.... :)

I was searching for this topic as I too have the same billet grill on a '97 Sport that I purchased last year. I wanted to add a few pics to show anyone that runs into this issue just another variation of what can be done. Here are a few picks of the hack that I implemented on mine. I used an old 1/4" brace that I found lying around the garage. Mild-steel rod from a hardware store would work just as well. I drilled a small hole in the existing lever and screwed this scrap bracket on to it, then added a few tack welds. I pushed a little vacuum plug onto the end and wrapped it with black tape. That's it.

Now I can reach down just below the bottom of the grill where there's ample space for my hand and fingers and move the lever-extension to release the latch. Hope this helps someone that might run into this again.

--mike

Attachments

• hood-release1.jpg
    hood-release1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 236
  • hood-release2.jpg
    hood-release2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 238
  • hood-release3.jpg
    hood-release3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 224

great thinking.