Blackfire or Klass that is the question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blackfire or Klass that is the question

Now i have never used either one of these products but am looking into getting one or the other for my 04 svt focus which is all black right now the car has 6 miles on it and is clean. before it gets dirty i want to polish, wax and seal it up. i know i should use something polymer because its black and it will melt. and im going to be doing it all by hand because i dont have a buffer. they sell both kits over at proper car care so i could go either way and the person on the phone over there said to go for blackfire. Im looking for a deep shine on the black that is pretty bright. i know you guys wount steer me wrong. what do you think....i know its not an explorer but atleast its a ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Between the two, I would go with Klasse. I hear Blackfire is a PITA to wait for curing and such. The Klasse Twins are great (at least that is what I've heard). Since you have a new car you should not have to worry about swirls marks, I hope. The process is polish/glaze, seal, and/or wax. What will melt?

i herd that black will get too hot in the sun and that carnuba melts at 180 degree's where the polymer doesnt.

I'll second the recommendation for Klasse. It has been proven to be one of the longest-lasting sealants on the market, along with Zaino. You are correct in that wax will not last as long due to the fact that it will melt rather quickly in the heat (probably in a few weeks). Carnauba wax can be used as a topper over the Klasse SG to give it that little extra kick whenever you want it. I'd recommend either S100 or Poorboy's Natty Wax.

Mike

Well throw another one into the hat for Klasse. I also would/was going with Klasse AIO and then throw on multiple coats of Klasse SG. Then as many coats as you can tolerate putting on, like every weekend of a good Carnuba Wax. Autopia is a good web site to read up on things like that also. There is "suppose" to be different products for different tint of cars, like your light tints and dark tints. You won't be sorry if you do the Klasse twins and then a real good Carnuba Wax.

well then im going to get the Klasse sonus kit from proper auto care. It has the Klasse twins plus the aplicators and microfiber towel along with sonus wheel cleaner and interior cleaners. how many coats of the gloss should i put on after the all in one? like 3 or 4 coats

91xploder said:
well then im going to get the Klasse sonus kit from proper auto care. It has the Klasse twins plus the aplicators and microfiber towel along with sonus wheel cleaner and interior cleaners. how many coats of the gloss should i put on after the all in one? like 3 or 4 coats
As many as your arms can stand, LOL. But you have to give them 24 hours to cure between coats. Look at the body good before the first coat, then look at it after the second coat, you will be able to tell how deep it is starting to look and you will know when it is time to stop. I mean after 3 coats if you can't tell any difference with the 4th coat, why go any further. Zaino is good. They definately have some good products. I say try them both and then go with personal preference. They are different products for sure, and do the same job, but depending on your car's condition, you can get different results. There is another product to use on darker cars too to help bring out that deep dark gloss, it's called Sonus Paintwork Cleanser that I would use right before the Klasse twins. Only 1 application is needed and it goes on by either hand or buffer. Actually it is for right after claying if you are going to do that if I remember correctly. I forgot the line-up cause I had so many different steps to do, but it was after the polishing and before the Klasse. That's when someone hit my truck and it had to go to the body shop. Should be out today, Yee Haa. But then goes to the stereo shop, again...

91xploder said:

You'll usually hit the point of diminishing returns after 3-5 layers of SG. Also, be sure to get plenty of microfiber towels.

Mike

i've got a pile of microfiber towels and aplicators...i was afraid this was going to turn into a heated argument over car care products...i've seen it before with people being brand loyal and all....does anyone know anything about blackfire or has used it...and is it really worth putting down the sonus paintwork cleanser first on dark paint?

Sorry, long but informative

91xploder, the following e-mail I received might help answer your question about sonus paintwork cleanser. Although I have no experience with the blackfire products, I have purchased the klasse-sonus complete kit from Classic Motoring Accessories and I am pleased with the simplicity and the performance of the klasse products. I did my 5 year old riding mower to practice first and I was impressed. I did my explorer 2 times with AIO and then one coat of the Glaze. It looked good for a week and then I went through the auto car wash and in the bright sun the next day I noticed Swirl Marks, yuck! I have in the past clayed and waxed my explorer using Rain-x wax. One good coat and then I used the quick wax after each wash and the paint looked good but not as good as the Klasse products. Klasse with one coat of Glaze had a really deep shine. Black is so hard to hide swirl marks so you are better off never getting them. I am going to order not only the sonus paint cleanser but also the sonus glanz and the probably the 1z paint polish and redo it from the start. By the way if anyone knows of a better swirl remover for black vehicles, please advise. Here is the e-mail.....

Hi John,
Boy, you sure can pack a lot of questions into one paragraph!!

Okay, first of all you mentioned my favorite product--Sonus Paintwork Cleanser
(http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?autopia+Lm8tZ6+son-400.html). As a
professional detailer, I find that people overlook this step more than any other.
And the Sonus gives very dramatic results.

The Glanz is more of a quick wax--NOT a detailing spray like the Acrylic Spritz
(save this for touchup's). Important to know that. Both the Sonus Paintwork
Cleanser and the Klasse AIO are cleaners, although the AIO does have some
acrylic wax in it. The interesting thing is they have a synergistic effect when
used sequentially--2+2=5!! You will particularly notice a dramatic difference on
that black Explorer.

Here's the sequence. Assuming you have done your clay work, and then treated
your scratches, swirl marks, etc. with the appropriate polish like 1Z Paint Polish
(http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?autopia+Lm8tZ6+1z-930306.html),
your next step should be the Sonus pwc, followed by the Klasse AIO, followed by
the Klasse Sealant Glaze. Then use the Sonus Glanz to refresh your waxed finish
in between washes. The Spritz can be used for a variety of things, but has much
less acrylic in it than the Glanz.

Hope this helps!!

Peggy

Yours in Better Car Care
Peggy Becker
Certified Autopia Detailer
www.bettercarcare.com

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:54:43 -0500, John wrote
> I am getting ready to use the Klasse twins - AIO and Hig Gloss
> Sealent. I also have Sonus High Gloss Acrylic Spritz. I have a
> black 1998 explorer and someone mentioned that I might benefit from
> using a couple more products,Sonus Paint Cleanser and Sonus Acrylic
> Glanz. Is there a big difference between the Sonus Spritz and the
> Glanz? Also is the paint cleanser like the klasse AIO or would it
> do something different? Also, Would I use it before or after the
> AIO? Thank you for your time.

I have no experience with the Sonus Paintwork Cleanser, although I do know that David developed some products in the Sonus line specifically for use with Klasse (such as the Acrylic Spritz). The Sonus line is supposed to be excellent, so I don't doubt any claims of working well with AIO. Your best bet would be to get over to Autopia and do a search for it. There's gotta be someone over there who has tried it. The sequence of steps that Peggy suggested are right on and I highly recommend the 1Z Paint Polish. It works well by hand or by machine.

Mike

Back