Blank radio display. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blank radio display.

ebmorris

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eddie bauer
Hi

I have a 99 explorer with a mach radio that has a blank display.
Any fixes for this?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1999 Mountaineer Radio Display Blank

There are many posts on the infamous radio display is "blank" issue, on Explorer, Mountaineers, and other brands as well. I read many of those posts to derive my solution. The main culprit is the heat generated by R1060,R1061,R1062,R1063, which are 2W resistors mounted very close to the board. The heat eventually cracks solder joints or in my case cracked the plated thru holes for components. Its very difficult to see the damamge unless you use a 10x eyepiece. The solution is to remove the resistors and elevate them to a height of 1/2 inch or more above the board. There isn't enough lead on the resistors to do this so you have to use leads from other components to create "stilts" to hold the resistors above the board. I tried just resoldering the board, but until I elevated the resistors, the fix wasn't permanent. You have to be good with a soldering iron to prevent further damage but this solution is essentially free except for the labor to elevate the resistors, 1-2 hrs.

hi,
i just hit by hand softly it display the radio.

Back