Radio Display is out, Please Help. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio Display is out, Please Help.

I Had the same problem with my 99 EB Display, the dealer sent it off and it ran me about $230.00, i had the option of entire radio warranty but refused it as the rest of the radio/CD worked fine. I figured why cover the entire thing for an extra $110.00, I really doubt I will regreat it though as after reading these posts it is a problem with the display unit only. It also seems that I should expect this problem again after reading posts. I think Ford is REALLY slack on recall issue here as it is such a wide spread problem. A freind of mine had the same problem on her 2000 XLT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Add me twice to this long list. I have 2 Explorers with the same problem. About 6 months ago my '99 Sport starting doing this. Sometimes it would work and then it wouldn't. Finally it quit altogether. About 2 months ago, my '00 Limited did the same thing. The warranty had just expired so I decided to look at these message boards. I like the idea that Ford should RECALL these things since so many break. I'm like the poster that has controls on the steering wheel, so I'm not crazy about replacing the stereo with a 3rd party type. The stereos work great - except for the display. For me - I don't intend to do anything until Ford will RECALL this. Maybe we should all start complaining enough about their faulty workmanship that we can shame them into replacing/repairing them.

btw: I even took my '99 stereo out of the dash - looked everwhere for any type of bulb or fuse that may be broken - but had NO luck. It has to be in the IC somewhere, but that's too technical for me.

I just found this FIX but haven't tried it yet. I'm not sure yet how to post a link, but here's the URL

Dead Link Removed

mine does not work also. i am going to try the posted fix and let you know what happens.

i carefully added some solder to each contact on the back of the led. for now, it works great. the led comes on right away and has not faded out yet.

thanks!

well i tried all of the above several times. it would work for 1 to 20 minutes each time. sometimes i soldered, sometimes i just cleaned. once all i did was take it out and look at it, it worked for a few seconds on replacement, but nothing permanent. next move is to plunk down the $80 for the new circuit boards and see what happens. thanks, ford Þ. coincidentally, ford wants $80 for a cute little 3-way hose device that sits on top of the sohc V-6 that they split causing a vacuum leak when they did a factory ordered modification the the engine. it fits in my hand. must be some expensive plastic. the parts man blushed when he told me the price.

I found this website on another forum. I have not had a chance to try the fix, but I will as soon as I can. I hate being without a display.

Hope it works.

The Fix

Add us to the list of disgruntled owners, our '98 Explorer Sport, 92k, the stereo LED went out last night. The nerve to charge $450-$600 to get it fixed..It's time for a sticky clock the the face, that sucks though!

No display on Radio.... Problem solved

I followed the recommendations from above. I simply took the radio out. Unscrewed the face plate and took out the power supply. I desoldered and resolidered the resistors as recommended and placed it back in. IT DID NOT WORK. I took it out again and flipped the wire bundle that holds the face plate to the main unit, touched up a few connections and reinstalled. IT WORKED and has wored for a week plus.

The below web address states (with pictures) exactly how to fix it. I followed this and what I read on the above strings and it worked great!

http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/the_fix.htm

Good luck,
DT

Ford Radio Display Problem ( Instructions Fix to the Problem)

1998 & Up FORD RADIO DISPLAY GOING DIM OR HAS GONE TOTALLY OUT BLANK

I HAVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR YOU IN HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM

www.caraudiolabs.net

or email : caraudiolab@aol.com

Radio Display Fix

I used the information posted by Rich C and I am happy to report the new power supply board works great and was very easy to install. Thanks Rich.
During the time I was having the radio display problem I noticed my cd player would not eject. Now that I finally have the display working the cd isn't. When I press the cd player button on my Mach unit the following message is displayed: CD ERROR 10. anyone know what this means?

Glad that worked out for you Joe! Just an FYI, I've been running with the new board for almost 5 months now, and it's still going strong...

As far as the CD issue goes, you might want to check out this link:

http://208.220.235.52:7001/eSupportJSP/SolutionShow.jsp?solution_id=F10139

I'm not 100% sure this is for our radio, but hopefully Pioneer standardizes their error codes.. The link isn't overly informative, but at least its a place to start.. Might be worth opening the unit up again and looking for any obvious physical problems around the CD area that might be preventing it from ejecting...

Good luck..

-Rich

Is it easy to replace display card?

RichC & Joe Marq

Can you tell me how hard it is to replace the Display Driver Card. Like how many connections to make(or cut)..

Thanks,

-Mike

It was extremely easy, only one connection (plug) to deal with, and no soldering involved.

Best of luck...

-Rich

I just found this great site and have been reading all the problems , I have a 98 xlt mach syst. with consl. contr. I still have display and have 133,000km but radio shuts on and off when it feels like or when just turn volume knob , everything else still works just fine for now , took it to ford and is now in the shop for the last
2 weeks "WITHOUT TUNES" they told me never had this problem before , the radio guy ( whatever!!!!!!) said has to be sent to pioneer in Texas at a cost of $600
and a new one is $1,100 for a new . anyone esel with a fix to this problem , and I don't want a new HU

Thanks
RICO

The problem is in the DC/DC converter.
There are around 9 parts that need to be replaced.
This has been a good fix for the display, have not had any of these radios come back for the display.
You can e-mail me at aeury@excite.com

radio display fix

I found this fix on ebay and highly recommend. It
cost $85.00, with 1 year guarantee. I received my
unit back in 6 days, installed for 2 months and works great. You can find on ebay, search "explorer cd repair" or contact SIPPLE ELECTRONICS INC 824 W.12th St. Erie, PA 16501
(814)454-4516 I tried all the recommended repairs, but they were only temporary. Not the unit runs cool to the touch and everything works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back