Blend Door Actuator Not Working | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blend Door Actuator Not Working

Very Helpful posting..

Still unsure which direction to take. I ran the diagnostic from RobertA and ended up in the catagory below. With the fluorsent display showing 888.

Would that just mean the actuator is bad????...thanks for any help

• If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, refer to the Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Improper Operation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't seem to get the EATC in my 97 Eddie into self-test mode. Is it the same combination of buttons as on the 98? When I press off and floor together, the system turns off, then when I press auto (within 2 seconds), it just goes into auto mode.

im going to assume i have a faulty panel since mine wont enter this mode. a/c works on max and auto and my fan switch works fine as long as i dont push it to the top then it cancels all other fan speeds out and only works on hi. ill start w/a new EATC :)

Blend Door Actuator FORD OEM part works

Okay, so I purchased a Dorman Blend Door Actuator (before I read this post) and it doesn't turn in any direction when connected (but not installed).
I read this post, ran the DTC codes (display showed 024 and 025 - - as expected) and ran it again with the original Ford actuator. Interestingly, with the Ford original part installed, the DTC moves the actuator, but fails the test with 024. Cleared the codes (using Defrost) and the original Ford part doesn't work.
So I picked up an OEM part from Ford dealer today. Guess what? That worked. Plugged it in, and it operates when I change the temperature controls. Also passes the DTC tests. I plugged in the original Ford part as well as the Dorman part, and both of those fail (the Dorman fails altogether with no movement at all).
So the original Ford part was bad, the Dorman part will not work and the replacement Ford part works. I took the Dorman part back to Advance. I suspect the Dorman must be spec'd for an earlier ATC (maybe pre 1998).

So now with the Blend Door Actuator functioning, I now have the daunting task of replacing the Blend Door (I got the Dorman part for that - it looks good to me). Obviously that's a big job and I plan to utilize the "Dremel" or "Utility Knife" method for this fix (i.e., search for Blend Door on explorer forum for this procedure).
Wish me luck! I'll post results later.

Just can't give up on this 98 Explorer!

Magicland, I had the same problem with mine. EATC would not enter self-diagnostic mode, until I tried this: Instead of hitting the two buttons simultaneously, I very rapidly hit them alternately, 10 or 12 times, then I hit "auto" It went into diagnostic mode, threw a code 24, I hit defrost, and my actuator started working. By the way, the Dorman part works fine for me, you just have to make sure you get one for EATC if you have that system. The actuators for manual control and EATC look identical, but they're obviously different. There's also a similar one for my wife's '02 with rear seat climate control, but it's wired differently also. Good Luck

Tom

Tom - your update adds more interest to this saga. So the Dorman works in 'some' Explorers but not all.

I tried 'three' new Dorman units. In fact after the 2nd return to Advance, the tech went out with me to try the 3rd unit. We were certain it was my wiring. But after reading this post, I called my local Ford dealer. They had one in stock (I picked it up yesterday), and I plugged it in to the connector in the parking lot. It worked immediately.
I can also tell you that the Dorman units for ATC and manual are similiar (as you eluded) but they are different and the manual one does not fit the same as the ATC.

When I picked up the actuator from Ford, it looked identical to the Dorman unit in size and shape. The Ford part was only $48, so I really didn't pay too much more than Advance price. When you purchase the Ford one, the computer at Ford does mention that there were changes to the ATC programming, so it's possible the Dorman doesn't account for all programming (the Ford parts guys showed me the computer screen for the notes).

So the bottom line is that it looks like it's hit or miss!

Blend Door and Blend Door Actuator FIXED

Update on my blend door:
Well, I cut out the bottom of the plenum and removed the old blend door. The 'broken' part fell out too.
Installing the new unit was fairly easy. I was able to move the new blend door in the middle and then the new Actuator dropped down into place. It was just a matter of moving the blend door just a little bit at a time (just took a minute).
Once that was installed (re-installed the actuator) I turned on the system to ensure the door moved with temperature control (note it only moved at 60 and 90 degrees until about five minutes when the car warmed up, then it moved in increments depending on the temperature setting e.g., 70, 71, 72, etc.).
After verification, I sealed up the plenum with Aluminum foil tape.
I don't think I'll need to use plastic epoxy repair, as the aluminum foil tape doesn't appear that it's going to come loose (this is the real stuff you should use for sealing ducts).
With everything back in place, I drove the Explorer around for ONE hour with my 'fixed' heating/cooling system. Absolutely amazing to have this working again. I can't tell you how excited I am for the rest of winter!

If I can figure out how to upload pics, I'll add them later (or just reply if you're interested and I can email, but basically my pics are nearly identical to the ones posted for Blend Door fix).

I hope everyone has a happy New Year!

Russ

Tom,
One other note, I was able to enter the DTC test mode by pressing Off and Floor together and then hitting Auto. I have an 98 Eddie Bauer, V8 5.0L.
This just adds evidence that Ford changed the programming at some point in the production of the Explorer.

blend door sticky

I have a 98 merc & the blend door sticks every time i start it. So i smack it a couple times with a rubber mallet it flops shut, then i have heat. ANY IDEAS

blend door stuck

When you say that you have heat after hitting the blend door, does your heat work normally, as in you are able to adjust the temperature? Or does it simply produce heat, and you have no ability to adjust the temperature?

If the temperature adjustment works after you un-stick your blend door, maybe the blend door actuator is not functioning properly when you start up the vehicle. It is possible for you to remove the actuator and replace it (I would advise using a Ford replacement, not a Dorman aftermarket).

If the temperature is not controllable, we should assume your blend door hinge is broken (the part that connects into the blend door actuator). That repair involves pulling out the blend door and replacing. Very inexpensive job ($11 for a new blend door) but it's a tough job. You can do it if you review the instructions posted on this forum including the extensive pictures. Just print it all out and follow the instructions.

Good luck!

Im having the same problem with my actuator, stuck on heat unless my ac is on max. I dont have digital heat controls tho. Any idea how to test the actuator with analog heat controls?

Read through the posts to find the illustrated instructions for pulling out your actuator. You can then run the controls to see if the actuator moves. If it moves it's probably fine. In which case you need to pull out your blend door and replace it (instructions are posted for that).
If your actuator doesn't turn/move, you'll need to replace it. But I really would be surprised if your blend door isn't broken. Meaning I'm sure you probably need to replace the blend door.
Dig around these posts, as you'll find all the instructions.
Good luck.

I picked an actuator up from the scrap yard today, I didnt have the chance to install it in my ex yet, but i checked to see if it worked and it does. I got it out of a 99. Ill update yall when i put it in.

Anybody know what code 125 and 115. Means thanks

They mean bad data from vehicle OBD network.

Thank you RobertA for your post "EATC Module Self Test instructions." I put my wife's mint '98 EB in the shop and they asked me to come back another day the job would take so long.

I went to O'Reilly's and bought an actuator hoping it would be the problem. Couldn't find a blend door in a local parts store. Pulled the actuator and plugged in the new one and no movement. Dead. No juice to it. Pulled the dang radio hoping to find some connection problem to the ATC. Nothing.

Then I found your post and within 10 minutes had run the ATC diags which cleared the problem of no power/current going to the actuator. Works like a charm now thanks to you. Door moves, got heat, got cold, got happy wife.

My question to you and the others here is this: There were no DTCs during the test. It completed and I exited and everything worked. What would make the ATC stop sending that current to the actuator?

So I ran the self test and got the 024 code, changed the blend door actuator and it still isn't working properly. I also cannot run self test after changing the actuator, any ideas what now???? I' sure if I could run the test I could figure out if the doorman actuator worked or if I need to go get the OEM part from Ford. It sounds possible that I need to clear the codes before it will function properly.

There's been a lot of problems reported on the dorman actuators. Many people have issues with the new units not working. I went with a Ford unit. New ones are pricey so I got one from a u-pull it. If it doesn't work you're only out $10. If it does you're golden. I would put the old one back in and see if you can run the diags again. If you put the old one back in and the diags work, make sure you push defrost at the end to clear the codes and reset the EATC system. You might find after that the old one works. Good luck.

I took the new actuator one out and put the old one back in and it still didn't function and the self test didn't work either so I disconnected the battery with the hopes it would clear the code 024 from the self test and it worked. The old one was defective, it would work but it kept clicking so I took that one out and put the doormans in and it works great. I am a little leery of the doorman actuator reliability but for now all seems to be fine. Thanks for all the help on the form!!! I fixed a couple things I had no idea what to do on my 99 Explorer EB with the great help for the forum...thanks to all for the posts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went to self test, pulled an 024-025, hit defrost, assumed it cleared but did not reset. My recirc door, blend door and vent control are still not functioning

Back