• Register Today It's free!

Blend door problems

Vallince

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Wales
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello, almost done on the restoration project. However yesterday my ac stopped getting cold I know it's not the compressor or anything major like that, I tested the actuator and it still works but I believe it's the blend door hinge that got broken. The ac temperature control know won't do anything despite the actuator working. Is there a way to change the blend door without ivicerating the duct? All the videos on YouTube show people cutting it, but I want to do it right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can take your assembly out and see if it cracks open like the one pictured in the link below, but that's likely to be a lot more labor.

I don't know exactly what removal entails but you may have to take the whole dash off, or get lucky to figure out where the fasteners are if there isn't a youtube video showing that in Great Detail.

All I've seen is people cutting the hole, then patch it up with aluminum HVAC tape. IIRC, Dorman may even make a kit that includes the tape. That's what I'll do if/when the time comes.

Anyway, it looks like the discontinued Case Assembly is part # 1L2Z18471A or if you don't have a floor console, different part # and I don't know the fine details of the differences, 9L5Z-18471-B

Thanks I'll look into it. A shame that when the blend door goes its always hot it defaults to. I live florida so I never used the heater. Even when it gets cold the old girl takes way too long to warm up for the heater to really get going. I wouldn't have cared much if it defaulted to cold lol

Somewhere in our forum here, there is a 5 minute blend door fix. You can then move the door by hand, but the drawback is, it's done thru a "door" you cut into the interior housing

The air always flows through the A/C evaporator, so even if the blend door is stuck/inoperable, the heater core is only going to add heat to the airstream if you have the heater core valve open so hot coolant is flowing through it.

I've seen reports that setting A/C to Max, completely closes that heater core valve, while other statements suggest the valve never really closes all the way. You could completely delete the heater core by adding a hose that replaces those going to and coming from the heater core, that just loops back to the engine.

Back