• Register Today It's free!

blew a manual hub

FordLover

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
My 92 has oem manual hubs with the manual transfer case. I went to unlock the hubs after wheeling the other night and couldn't turn the passenger side hub, so I just left it locked and drove the short distance home. Once I got home, I grabbed some pliers, and I turned the hub but it just kept turning. Hub is still locked, guess it's time for a replacement. Anyone ever blown a manual hub before?
I have a feeling this might have to do with the locker in the front end, I also ripped the ear off the front axle shaft a while back and broke a superlift axle drop down bracket. I'm really starting to question the strength of the Dana 35 holding up against the 33's...I think my concerns are valid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really can't help you out b/c I still have the auto hubs. :eek: I read a while back that the Warn manuals are free replacement, but I'm not sure. I did hear though that they are better than the Mile Markers. Good luck. :)

Like what BMX said. Look into the warn or the mile markers.

They can get kind of expensive... i use warn personally.

i think in your case its a direct swap. Guys with AutoHubs stock have to convert the first few peices of the spindle to get the ManualHubs to work. In your case i think you already have the spindlenuts and lockwasher that Warn would sell ya. but i dont know, i dont have any experince with stock explorer manual hubs.

So it might save you 50 bucks... check on that.

FordLover, how hard do you wheel? What terrain, how often?

Actually, I just remembered that yesterday I posted a thread in the for sale forum with a BUNCH of links to ebay stuff for our Explorers. If you look in there I posted a link to 2 sets of Warn hubs(I think) and some MM ones. One set of the Warns were only $30 b/c the guy bought the wrong set of hubs. :D

unclemeat said:
FordLover, how hard do you wheel? What terrain, how often?

I consider myself easy on my truck. I do wheel often, on a weekly basis, mostly mud, sand, water. The truck has 155K miles on it, and most everything was original/stock when I bought it, so I can imagine that the extra stress of what I ask of the vehicle is going to start finding the weak links. Everyone was surprised when the front passenger axle shaft came apart (u joint was replaced when lift was installed, so it's possible a clip came off and tore the ear up) the people I wheel with know I don't abuse my vehicle. Honstly the hub is a surprise, I don't think they were used much at all before I bought the truck less than two years ago with 142K miles. I'll post a pic of it when I bought it, and what it looks like now.

Yeah the Warn hubs are a direct replacement for the OEM hub, as a matter of fact I believe Warn manufactured the hub for Ford durring production.
Before...
572728.jpg

After:
570517.jpg

Back