• Register Today It's free!

blinkers and brake lights

djrighthooks

Reaction score
City, State
OrAnGe.CoUnTy.SoUtHeRn.CaLi
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 exploder death trap.
hey guys whats up...i am having problems with my blinkers and brakelights...i have checked fuses and relays and im still having same probs...my brake lights keep working and then not working...and my blinkers are just flat not blinking or lighting up...has anyone come across this with there 91 ford exp before..?...what should i do...could this be a wiring problem?..or am i overlooking something?..thanks guys if u can help me at all..

here she is
streetfighter.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe a short

That's a nice looking rig you got there, as for your problem the first place I'd check is your grounds for the tailights. In my experience, poor grounds are a frequent soruce of intermittent issues.

Pat

Very nice truck.

Definitely check grounds as mentioned.

Replace the blinker switch (relay, whatever it's called, the thing in the fuse panel under the dash). Try a high-load one (used to trailer, etc.), sometimes they override problems (such as bad bulbs).

Check brake switch (at brake pedal).

Check the multifunction switch in the steering column (blinkers, high beams, washers).

If none of the components are bad, and your ground is good, you probably have a wire that is rubbing through its insulation somewhere, causing an intermittent short. Those are always the fun ones to fix...

Good luck, keep us posted.

Mike

i think its the blinker/windsheild wiper ect. handle thingy..cuase if its not pushed up all the way the brake lights dont work..sort of buggy like that so do i have to replace that whole lever thingy?thanks for the help

Do a search on the forum for "multifunction switch" there are lots of posts. I haven't had to do this, but I don't think you replace the whole handle, just the switch inside the steering column.

Mike

Back