• Register Today It's free!

BLIS stopped working

Chris-74

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I noticed that my BLIS stopped working in both mirrors. I toggled it off and back on in the settings to be sure it was on, but no dice. The yellow lights will flash on when I start the engine, but that's about it. I don't see any obstructions on the sensors (leaves, dirt). I'm assuming it uses the same sensors as the proximity alert for parking? That system works fine.
Has anyone encountered this before or know what else to check before I take it to the dealer?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The radar sensors are behind the rear bumper fascia on each side of the vehicle. See page 224 of your Manual.

Peter

Sorry Peter, I didn't realize this topic is under the Sync 3 umbrella.
I know where the sensors are, I don't believe they're the problem.

Sorry Peter, I didn't realize this topic is under the Sync 3 umbrella.
I know where the sensors are, I don't believe they're the problem.
It's part of the In Vehicle Technology, not the Sync 3 part. Unfortunately I am not able to separate that in the heading. I was surprised to see that the sensors are not where they were on the earlier models which were behind the rear quarter panels just ahead of the rear wheels.

Chris did you get some resolution to this BLIS issue?

Whatever it was it fixed itself within a few days. Ghost in the machine maybe? Haven’t had any problem since.

I know I am late to the party but BLISS works with the rear tail lights. They have the sensors in them. With that said if you have access to Forscan you can test the modules along with see any error codes. In case it happens again.

I never used Forscan. I have not learned how to use it. BLISS lights are on for a second when I start my car. Bliss lights do not come on when I go through traffic. A few times I had rapid blinking on the passenger side mirror when the car was in blindspot. I might have to take it to a dealership.

FYI rain can interfere with the blis sensors. If it’s been raining a lot where you are lately, wait and see if it works on the next dry day (that wasn’t my problem btw).

I know I am late to the party but BLISS works with the rear tail lights. They have the sensors in them...........
Not sure where you got that info. BLIS has nothing to do with the rear taillights. From the 2017 Owner's Manual, page 224;
The system uses radar sensors that are
located behind the bumper fascia on each
side of your vehicle. Any dirt, mud and
snow in front of the sensors and/or driving
in heavy rain can cause system
degradation. Also, other types of
obstructions in front of the sensor can
cause system degradation. This is referred
to as a ‘blocked’ condition.

Peter

Related question (sort of). The Blindspot warning in my 2018 Explorer Sport works great but..... I was wondering if there was any way to add (or enable) an audio alert. The flashing light in the mirror is helpful but I'd like more notice (like the audio alert in the Cross Traffic and parking alert systems).
Thanks

Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
There is no setting for that which may be just as well depending how you look at it. There are many times the alert will come on when you are close to objects. As well when a vehicle passes you the BLIS will trigger. Any such audible warning would have to be tied in to the sensor and turn signal. The fact that the BLIS now flashes when the turn signal is on and a vehicle is in the 'zone' is already an improvement since there was no tie in to the signal until the 2016 model came out. I'm doubt that an audible warning could even be set up using Forscan.

Peter

Back