• Register Today It's free!

blower motor change?

blind ump 1

Reaction score
City, State
nh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford sport trac
The heat is coming out of the ducts, but the fan is not working. the heat in the back seat works fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the blower work on high? If so, its most likely your blower motor resistor. But if its your blower motor, its an easy fix.

Bobmbx, Thanks for the response. The fan switch does nothing from the front control fan switch, but the separate fan for the back seat works. It's a 2002 sport trac. I don't usually work on my truck, but I am a plumber and have mechanical skills.

Thanks for the help. I watched a few different you tube videos and will get the heat working saturday. Glad I visited the site...simple problem got great results.

Been there, done that. $45 at O'Reillys. Take the coolant and washer fluid tank loose, remove screws and start wiggling till it comes out. Before I replaced mine, I found that if I tapped the motor lightly with a hammer, it would start blowing. This might get you through on a cold day until you get the blower motor changed.

Thanks. I did change the resistor while I had everything apart, and also put 12 volts to the motor and it ran. I guess I have to trace the wiring now.

Thanks. I did change the resistor while I had everything apart, and also put 12 volts to the motor and it ran. I guess I have to trace the wiring now.

Pull the connector that feeds the fan, check for 12 volts. It will always be 12 volts. The resistor and switch are between the motor and ground, meaning 12V is always at the "truck" side of the connector when the key is on. There are 2 relays that route power to the blower. Check your owners manual for the correct relay(s), and swap the blower relay(s) with an identical one that you know is working. There are several to pick from in the distribution box.

You were dead on! The relay was the problem. You know your ****! I checked the fuse first, but had no idea there was a relay as well. Thanks again. It was nice to have heat on the ride in this morning.

Back