blower motor works on AC but not on Heat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

blower motor works on AC but not on Heat

jane61

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer xlt
I have a 98 Explorer, with a rebuilt engine that has about 60,000 miles on it.I am having problems with the AC/heating. I had the blower motor replaced last May. I had to take it back to the mechanic because the fan stopped working again. The mechanic replaced the resistor and then the fan seemed to work okay, except he forgot to plug in one of my oxygen sensors, so the vehicle was barely driving. I took it to another mechanic closer to my house and he plugged the sensor back in and things were okay.

The fan quit on my heater a couple weeks ago when it was 18 degrees out. Luckily I live in Oklahoma where the temperatures swing wildly, so a couple days later the temperature was 50 degrees, so I didn't need the heat. I tried the AC and the fan works for that. I was told the heat and AC are separate systems, that's why the fan works on AC, but not heat. I have been reading up to see if there's any easy fix I might get my husband to help me with. I have a Chilton book and started looking at my fuse panel. About half of the fuses on my panel to the left of the steering wheel are 7.5 instead of 10 or 15. Unfortunately I don't know which mechanic put those in or why. I have used mechanics of varying skill levels, dealership and shade tree. Any ideas on why someone would use a bunch of 7.5 fuses?:)

Back