blowing fuses | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

blowing fuses

zxttghst

Reaction score
Hey everyone...here is the problem; I keep blowing fuse 11 (15 amp) under the hood.

About a month ago my dash lights and tail lights went out all of a sudden. I checked all of the fuses and and found that # 11 was blown, I replaced it and the lights worked for about 2 weeks. Since then the lights have not been working and I have not been driving at night :(.

I tried to replace fues 11 tonight and it blew within second of turning on the lights. I've checked every fuse and all are 'A OK.' I disconnected the battery and cannot figure out what it could be..

I'm suspecting the dash light switch. PLEASE HELP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fuse after fuse
mail

Last time I head a story like yours, it turned out to be a shorted wire near the brake lights

...Since you have a short and it includes the brake lights, I would check the tail lights, remove them, and also check the wiring behind them, and trace the wires down from there...

...I had to look at your old thread and it says you are in Iowa, correct???

...I'm thinking you may have damaged some wires and they are shorting/grounding out...;)

...I had to look at your old thread and it says you are in Iowa, correct???

...I'm thinking you may have damaged some wires and they are shorting/grounding out...;)

Ugg yeah I'm in Iowa what do. This is a damn nightmare

If you want to chase the problem down, here's a set of wiring and connector diagrams for a 95, should be real close for any 2nd gen Ex.
95-Explorer-Diagrams

I have read of the trailer light connector wires being the cause of some problems also.
If you have a trlr. lgt. hook up under the driver side rear tail light I would look at that closely.

I have read of the trailer light connector wires being the cause of some problems also.
If you have a trlr. lgt. hook up under the driver side rear tail light I would look at that closely.

^^^FOR THE WIN, I checked that ealier today and I think that was the problem, I removed the trailer lights and chnaged the fuses and so far everything is good!!! Again, thankx for the help everyone

hey i live in iowa to but ya u definetly have a shorted wire n my guess would be by the brake lights to u will just have to follow ur brake and head light wires very carefully or just wiggle them arround from from to back and hope u got the hot wire off from were it was shorting out lol but good luck man it shouldnt be to hard to fix

Back