Bluetooth Lag answering and duplex delay | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bluetooth Lag answering and duplex delay

jeffreycowart

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited 4WD
I wanted to get some feedback on other users experiences using the MFT bluetooth handsfree system for phone calls.

My phone is a Verizon Samsung S4, it connects every time and address book and contact photos downloaded correctly. So everything seems to be working fine.

When a call comes in:
1. the actual phone begins to ring
2. 1-2 second later radio mutes
3. 2-3 seconds later car speakers ring
4. 1-2 seconds later caller ID on the screen shows up
5. Then I hit answer on the screen or button on steering wheel
6. radio unmutes for 2-3 seconds and I hear my music playing
7. radio mutes and I can talk to the person calling

So from the time the first ring comes into the phone it takes about 8-10 seconds to actually answer the call.

The radio unmuting in step 6 really throws me off, as I always think I hung up on the person.

When we do start talking I think it sounds clear and people do not have a problem hearing me or complain of wind noise.

However there is a slight duplex lag, where I say something as they are starting to say something, can get annoying, but I think most handsfree systems suffer form this.

Would like to know if others peoples systems are operating the same way or if I should try to do a reboot or something else. To make the phone answering process faster.

MFT seems to be operating fine. I don't notice any significant lag in the system. I do have a usb drive attached for music.

Thanks for your feedback!
Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the S4Active and its not exactly the same but it does something like that.
Its the phone doing these things.

My prior Windows phone had a delay but it was shorter.

In the S4 check all settings where Bluetooth or auto answer is set.
Doubling up on call settings seems to cause extra delay or weird back and forth operation when the phone rings.

(MFT is 3.5.1 and has been perfect. )
(Bluetooth has always been great.)
(Windows phone always worked fine for calls, no text,
fine for media streaming)

Now sometimes via car hands free,
phone rings, rings via car hands free,
but call audio comes through the phone, (I now hit Enter on steering wheel & it Ends the call immediately)
If I do nothing for a second it displays Enable Privacy, End Call, some 3rd option...
I need to pick up to continue the call which is still on the phone and all voice and audio is now happening on the phone. (...heard me curse a bit...)

Otherwise 9 out of 10 times it works fine and I can begin or end calls from the wheel or voice.

Check:
Settings
My Device
Call
-Answering/Ending Calls
review all.
-Call accessories.
review all,
-auto answer.-disabled mine-this seems to increase delay or caused switching problem from device to hands free,
-Check other auto answer settings as conflicting settings seems to affect BT switching.
-call answer delay using hands free setting.
-in mine lowest is set to 2sec and cant be changed.
-check all call answer or call blocking.

-check BT pairing is stable and isnt asking to re-pair or device keeps being discovered.

..yours sounds as if its doing something similar...,
its answering partially via hands free then switches delays, may be switching back to phone if too long,
-you hear audio - that's MFT returning to the audio playing prior to the call.
-switches back and forth once or twice & you hear audio in between the delays.
..or something along those lines.
Eventually you can answer.

Im upgrading MFT to 3.6.2 over the weekend...

Also this (new) S4A has some tendencies to do weird stuff by itself,
-it can freeze, sometimes it wont respond at all but the power and volume buttons work,
-soft boot seems to fix it
-it seems to be easily overloaded by low to moderate amounts of email sync,
-eye or hand gestures barely work using a very clear/sheer AT&T screen protector.
-tilt control barely works.

Thanks LukerDooker. I went in and double checked my settings and all seem to be set correctly.

Autoanswer is turned off, because I do not want to auto answer.
The auto answer delay is irrelevant because auto answer is disabled.
I don't have any call blocks set up.

I did turn off "enhanced voice privacy" which is only a CDMA (Verizon) option. I heard it is irrelevant now days.

I will try some of the other options like "noise reduction" and "personalize call sound", but I would imagine those would only affect the phone mic and not bluetooth.

One point on your reply, is that I don't have any issues with it inadvertently sending audio through the phone speaker. Everything has worked correctly, it just takes a long time to complete the process (it answers as intended, but the process takes 10 seconds) and some voice duplex lag.

Still would be interested to hear if others using other phones or even the S4 have it answer calls faster than 8-10 seconds and if they notice the duplex voice lag.

Have a good weekend all!

I had similar issues to what you describe on 3.5.1 using an iPhone. These issues went away after the upgrade to 3.6.2 .. are you on an older version of MFT by any chance?

Yes, I am on the latest 3.6.2... I have only had the car for 4 weeks and I updated as soon as I got it, so I have no reference to previous versions.

Have you tried a different phone, Jeff? If you have access to one, you can pair it to MFT to see if you have the same experience. From what I've seen over the years, each phone has it's own "answer time frame." You may also benefit from turning off auto phonebook download. Here are the instructions to do that:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/manage-phonebook-sync-myford-touch

Rebecca

Unfortunately I don't have another phone easily accessible, but I will try in the near future.

I have had the phonebook set to manually update from the beginning, since I have approx 2,200 contacts. I was able to find a way to quickly, manually send only the contacts I wanted by setting up categories in Outlook and using a Bluetooth transfer tool from Google Play. So now its down to about 150, but that made no noticeable difference in the answer time. I thought it might since it had to look through 2,000+ pictures and contact info for many people to display the caller ID.

My Verizon Samsung S4 did just get updated to Android 4.3 which has some bluetooth enhancements. During the one call I received today, the response time did seem much faster.

I will report back after more testing, but since no one else is experiencing a long delay when answering their phones, I will assume it was a Samsung S4 issue to begin with.

Having same problem. the answer delay and radio un-mute for 2 seconds is the worse part. Also have a Samsung S4

Back