body lift and suspension lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

body lift and suspension lift

matts0809

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
i am getting a 1999 ford explorer 4x4 and i was wonder what i should go with if i want 3" - 4" of lift. What are the reason for getting a suspension lift rather than a body lift???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ts your price range?...a body lift= a pita but 150 bucks...suspension lift =$$. A body lift wouldn't be that bad though living in Houston..you guys don't get killed with the salt like we do. As for why a suspension lift over a BL .....ehh astetics(a body lift shows frame) you might stretch somethings if you are not careful on the install.....but unless you go with the RCD kit(=3k just for the kit) you don't get anymore travel.

i really just want it to get bigger tires (265/75/16) i may take it off-road every once in a while, but i don't have anywhere near enough money for the suspension lift and i was just wondering if it bad for the explorer to get just about a 3 inch body lift. kind of like a get what you pay for thing. anyway i wil probably get a suspension in a year or two, but since i wanted a lift now i just wanted to make sure a 3 inch body lift wouldn't mess up my explorer. about how much for the installation and everthing if i got a body lift at a local shop???

You can do a tt, shackles and add a leaf for about 2" and a 3"bl for a total of 5" of lift for about $300.

are these good shackles or do i need to get a certain brand???
http://www.jackit.com/shackles/shackle_ford.htm
also i will probably do a torsion twist, tt, and possibly the add a leaf if i don't like the stance. and i want to get a 3" body lift, and i will most likely do this first because i want to get big tires as soon as possible. how much will an add a leaf add??? and how much will the torsion twist add??? and i can't seem to find any body lift kits for a 1995-2001 explorer any suggestions???

Yes those are the warrior shackles they can be found for about $60 an add a leaf about $30 body lift $125 a tt is free but you will need an alignment so add that cost.

This is if you do the work yourself.

yes, i'd go with the torsion twist + shackles. tt improves handling but decreases ride smoothness. shackles are sweet lookin. if you dont plan on off roading much i'd get the cheep 20$ shackles from auto zone, if you're not gona be wheelin much then u'll be fine, i go off road all the time and they're workin out for for me. as for the aal i havent got mine yet but will be soon.

install is incredibly easy on the tt + shackles.

tt = jack up the frame on the front, wd-40 the t-bolts crank em up a few notches, lower it check height jack it up even it out done.

Shackles = jack up the rear FRAME till the tires are just barely on the ground. loosen up the old shackles, wd-40, then you'll probably need to hammer them out... the bolts that is. attach the shackle to the frame first then what i did (prob not safe) was get under the truck and suspend my upper body from the end of the leaf spring to get it down to the bolt holes on the bottom of the shackle. anyways shackles alone took all of 15 min.

dont waste ur money paying someone to do it for u (unless its me haha)

a body lift can be a pita but find a friend who has an impact and a weekend free..bring some beer and it should be done by sunday....actual time wise it really varies from truck to truck us north easters have to drill alot of the bolts out, but down south an impact and plently of pb blaster should do the trick(it seems 8 hours is about how long it takes....plus the bumpers).

how much does an alignment usually cost???
and thanks for all the inforamtion!!!

$50 at les schwab around here (Seattle Area)

What is better, shackles or the add a leif? looks like they can both add about 2". so combined with a TT and say a 3" body lift... which is beter for looks and or performance? Thanks.

-Mike

If you are going with the 3" body lift you will see all of the shackle when you install those. Some don't like that, some don't mind. You won't notice the AAL at all. I have an AAL installed and it did stiffen the ride somewhat, but I think it rides much better now. Shackles won't affect the ride.

Back