1998 V8 AWD Suspension or Body Lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 V8 AWD Suspension or Body Lift

Maearl

Reaction score
City, State
Grapevine, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT AWD
Howdy. It's been a while since I've been on. I have a 1998 Ford Explorer with V8 and AWD. I want to lift it 2-3" and am wondering which is "better"; a suspension lift or body lift? Also, what lifts can you recommend? And where can they be purchased. I don't want to spend alot of money. Thanks.

Howdy, A suspension lift would of course be better than a body lift but it will run you close to 2000.00 bucks not including tires. I just ordered a PA-883 3 inch body lift for my 1999 for 186.95 with free shipping...should be here in a few days. I purchased it from www.suspensionconnection.com would definatly go for the body lift if money is an isue. hope that helps!

Howdy, A suspension lift would of course be better than a body lift but it will run you close to 2000.00 bucks not including tires. I just ordered a PA-883 3 inch body lift for my 1999 for 186.95 with free shipping...should be here in a few days. I purchased it from www.suspensionconnection.com would definatly go for the body lift if money is an isue. hope that helps!

Not in the case of Explorers. With a suspension lift you have to drop the front differential and torsion bars negating the lift as you loose ground clearance.

Then as mentioned is the cost issue as well.

you can get an RCD lift to get rid of the torsion bars, but as mentioned, spendy.

you also need to worry about driveline geometry, with it being AWD. The life-span of the cv-joint in the driveshaft greatly diminishes with an increase an angle over OEM spec.

a body lift is simple, and cheaper. That's the route I went with and I'm happy with it :thumbsup:

Back