Body Lift Write-up? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body Lift Write-up?

davidmmmmm669 did u do your body lift yet? Im thinking about getting the same exact kit for my 96 sport. Let me know how it goes. thanks

Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no notyet i was thinking of doing it this weekend but went house hunting and just did a contract on a house today. Yes even i have some things more important than my cars...
i am going to do it next weekend and will post pictures of it..

alot of pics on that Kodak website but they need a little description on some of the pics to explain a few of them...

also you took your seats out did you find it easier. as otuers on here did not have to remove them..

thanks all

Kodak Site

evog007 you dont need to get a free account at kodak, just click the link that says "> View photos without signing in".

davidmmmm69 I took the seats out because the carpet is a little bit hard to get under with them in. some people cut the carpet and i didnt want to do that. Also there is only 4 small bolts holding them in and the body bolts are a real pain to get out so I wanted lots of room. I used a jack underneath to put pressure on the bottom side of the body spacer, as they spin when you try to take the bolts out. Even with lots of spray on them they still spin becuase there is lock tite on the bolts. Some say heating the bolts loosens the locktite but I was afraid of melting the spacers. The front two will certainly piss you off. I went and bought a HUGH pipe wrench and with the bumpers off was able to get the pipewrench wrapped around the spacer that was spinning. Takes two people.

ALso there is no comments on the kodak site yet because it is a work in progress, i still have to take the bumbers off and redo them. They are temporary anyways becuase they are going to be replced by roo bars.

In Aus you have to get engineering certification for 3 inch body litfts. Cost a small fortune so far and not done yet. The explorer is a weekend camping vehicle and I have a ford car for getting to slave city. ( work )

Best of luck with your lift.. :)

G'Day Chris,

Good to see someone local thats playing with these things. I just bought my Explorer a couple of months back and am now looking at mods.

So as you have stated the #883 Performance Acc Body lift is the one you have used. I have sent a couple of emails to different distributors in the US and they keep coming back saying that they do not make a lift for 97+ Explorers and I know something must have fit because there are so many lifted in the US. Well that gets me onto the question, where did you buy, how much was the lift, how much was the freight and how long did it take to be delivered. How long did it take you to do the work.

So where in Sydney do you live, I live in Ingleburn.

Thanks

Nuttie

Pa883

Nuttie,

It is true they dont make a body lift for the Explorer, but they make one for the RANGER that basically fits. summit racing has them.
Part number PRA-PA-883

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=PRA-PA-883&FROM=MG

Dont foget the Gap Guards
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=PRA-6732&FROM=MG

Parts 1 lift kit 1-gap guard = $325.00 AUD
Shipping = $245.00 AUD
3 Days for shipping. Faster than ordering from suppliers in Sydney HAHAHAHAHAH

Engineer testing of vehicle befor lift $175.00
Engineering certificate / new plate for vehicle firewall / RTA paper work $800.00-

Having FUN YET!!!

Glenwood by Parklea Markets..

Chris,

Thanks heaps for that, will look at buying one over the next couple of weeks and then wait for a weekend I'm not working to fit it.

Nuttie :thumbsup:

Body lift Help

Nuttie,

If you ever get around to ordering one I will help you install it if you need any help..

More Rear Bumper Bracket Pics

I took the dreaded rear bumper off to add the correct 8.8 14 mm bolts and decided to also add the brackets that came with the PA883 kit. I beat them to death ( as advised on some other link on this site ) untill they were almost , sorta flat. Because I temporarily have to leave the tow bar on because the trailer goes everywhere, sorta like american express card. The bumper brackets are now sandwiched between two plates that are bolted to the frame. That should hold it for awhile. I still hate it,, cant wait to get rid of the whole setup, but for now it will do. The 50 pictures I added to the others so there is 227 now. They are mostly of the brackets but I also added the sterring column adaptor, and the ground straps that you have to extend.
You dont need an account at kodak to view the pictures you can click on the view pictures without logging on,, or something like that. Its a good site and its free. I use it to have the pictures ( camping etc ) actually printed and posted from kodak to my mom in L.A. California. Saves the postage from AUS to USA.

I wonder if this qualifies for the orginal posted request of HOW TO.. heheheh

If you can't see the link, copy and paste the following directly into your browser:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=mj47glm.ayslt1ey&x=0&y=-b7gh2h

evoq007 said:
davidmmmmm669 did u do your body lift yet? Im thinking about getting the same exact kit for my 96 sport. Let me know how it goes. thanks

Scott

did most of it today but summitt really screwed me as it was a 2 inch i ordered.. got the 2 inch except for everything except the 2 inch blocks...
all the hardware and brackets are for the 3 inch.. so it took me 3 times as long to do it ....

Pa 792

David,

The PA 792 looks to be a 2inch body lift kit for 1991 - 1994 and 2001- 2002 model explorers. Your signature seems to indicate thgat you have two different vehicles so I am guessing that you did the 2002 XLT??

Could you please clarify what you meant by summit screwed you??

In my kit a lot of the bolts are the wrong length as they are too long,, or better put they dont have enought threads on them,, they bottom out befor getting tight. A box of washers solved the problem,, stuff threading the bolts,,, way to hard for me.. What was the spacers lenght? I would guess 2 inch? Isnt that what you expected??

Oh yeah how was getting the front two bolts off,, kinda fun..

see ya..

no it is for the 1995... i used the 792 because i wanted just the 2 inch...
if i used washers to help me i think it would have taken about 15 washers to get each bolt to tighten.. i had to drill out every hole. and put a nut and washer on the end of each bolt...every length compared to the stock bolts were closer to 3 inches difference..

also the rear brackets, the holes were drilled just over 3 inches leading me to belioeve they were for the 3 inch kit as all the bolts were..
they sent me a steering extension which you do not need for the 2 inch,, and a bracket for the radiator and also i beliueve the black one for the emergancy brake was also for the 3 inch kit....

beieve it or not with the electric impact i used the 2 bolts in the front were the easiest to remove..
drilling out sucked only cause i had short sleeves on and the shavings were hot lol going to call summitt and ask them to sent me the hardware for the 2 inch so i can hok the bumper on..

Body Blocks

Hi Guys,

This is looking like a bit of an overkill in $$$$'s for me as the freight costs are going to kill me and it seems that none of the hardware in these kits is 100% correct anyway.

So the question that I hope someone can answer for me is, what is the Outside diamater of the body blocks, internal diameter and how many are needed (I'm to lazy to get under and check at the moment)? Also, what is the make up of the kits, what is in it? This is for a 3 inch body lift...

I am thinking about using aluminium blocks, which I can get local and fairly cheap in comparison to freighting from the US to Aus. I have used aluminium blocks before on other vehicles. I'm not to worried about the brackets etc, as I've got a welder, grinder and drill and know how to use them. And I can buy bolts local aswell.

So if somebody could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nuttie

Lift Blocks

Nuttie,

The PA883 comes with about 14 lift blocks I think,, and you only need 10. The bolts are standard 8.8 14 mm 175 thread I think.. But anyways If you come by my place ( by Parklea Markets ) I will give you some blocks to start off your kit with. Really the only thing you need outta the kit is the steering extension,, the rest is nuts and bolts available any where. I am guessing but I think i saw just the extention at summit racing,, you might wanrt to order it alone or BUY DAVIDMMMM69's cause he didnt use his.. :) Go to the link that has the bumper brackets and get someone to make them up. The brackets listed are OK but not exactly right, the holes should be 14mm not 1/2 inch. Also I think the rear bracket could be improved apon by making it wider to get three bolts thru the frame rail into it and also making it wider towards the back to make the holes further from the edge of the plate. Basically I think it could be about 2.5 times wider??

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101646&highlight=bumper+bracket+body+lift

Mine sucks but I am going to replace the whole rear bumper with one that has a hitch receiver built into it so hopefully I can get the new bumper to fit directly to the frame rail. Where am I gonna get it?? dont know yet.

CLICKABLE THUMBNAILS::::::::

Notice the bolts are not threaded far enough...

Chris,

Thanks for that, Yeah I wouldn't mind checking out your truck before I eventually get started. So we'll have to catch up.

Nuttie

Back