Bodylift by Gofast. 3" on a 94 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bodylift by Gofast. 3" on a 94

BK,

Gerald was the first person to drive my truck after the lift, and the first stop we made it seem to shift a bit. After I tighned the bolts again, everything is good, no shifting or any other adverse effects. I love the lift, and would recommend the 3 inches to anyone.

Griffin,

Go here Dead Link Removed click on Body Lift Install, it will give you all the info on where I got the lift etc, I also have a '97 Sport. Talk to Mark W., very nice guy, at the place that I listed and tell him Sinjin(Rod) sent ya, He will also be able to talk to you about any concerns you might have with the lift as well.

Hope this helps guys,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, what I wouldn't do for another 3"...story of my life...

Sinjin,

I've talked (e-mailed) with Mark for awhile already and have infact ordered a lift.

I'm out here in Australia, so if anything goes wrong for me, it's gonna be a lot harder to take care of, especially because Exploders are not very popular over here.

Anyway, with that settled, my only other concern is the steering shaft debacle. Many people seem to be having problems, I've done endless searches, but I have yet to read a defining post regarding this subject.

Care to shed some light on this for me? Next to ordering a Flaming River shaft (hard money for me, considering the shocking exchange rate of the Australian dollar), I've heard someone use bits of an F150 shaft to overcome the binding problem.

I'm glad you like it. Puts my mind at ease. One other thing, I know you have 33" equivalents on your truck. I'm still gonna be running my 31" BFG Muds, do you think this will be a problem?

Thanks once again,
BK

Consider this!

I installed the 2" PA about two months ago and love it. Yes, it was one of the more difficult projects I've done on the truck, besides replacing the rear suspension bushings when I put in my warrior shackles. I opted for the 2" because at the time I had on 2 1/2 inches of suspension lift, and to me that is a big no-no, exceeding your suspension lift with a body lift. I noticed that the drivers that experienced binding weren't running stearing stablizers, and the ones that did, were. Another word to the wise, or something to check....about a week after the install, my truck started running like crap. Couldn't figure it out, or why it happened after my body lift...didn't make sense to me. Then I realized that there was extra tension at the wire to my mass air flow sensor. The plug was still attatched, but had pulled out just enough not to make contact, and had the truck loping like I had a huge cam. After all is sade and done, yes, this can be a difficult project, BUT I also think it can be one of the most rewarding. The average weekend mechanic can do it. Just don't get irked and irate when you end up breaking a couple of bolts. (hint: a small hack will get them out in a hurry, if I would of realized the trouble I was going to have, I wouldn't even tried to unbolt them, I would of just hacked them off at the start...you don't use that funky washer/retainer on the install anyway. It's also good if you know a welder when it comes time for the bumper brackets. If you think you will have an easier job if you purchase the 2" instead of the 3", think again. They only make one set of brackets for both kits, and they are for the 3". With the two inch, you have to cut the brackets, and do some fancy mounting to get them in there right. Good Luck. Last thing---How can you run 33's with a 2" body and 2" suspension? Are you not running fenders? I finally have no tire rub on my 32's after putting in spring spacers and warrior shackles. With fender trimming I think I could now run 33's on the street. Just curious, seems like we have simular set-ups, and wanted to know. Happy Explor'n!

Bluedog,

Sinjin and I are both running post '95 Explorers...these can run 31" tires straight out of the bag. The thing with running larger tires has been lateral width, not height. I'm pretty certain I could jam 33's into my wheel wells with a 3" lift, but it would be hack-city dealing with those flares...

thanks for the input,

BK

[Edited by MeatyCrab on 09-24-2000 at 06:54 AM]

Meaty Crab, I drove Sinjin's truck right after Gerald test drive because of the concerns he had. I didn't notice the shifting. It felt fine to me. Keep in mind this was someone else's truck and I was not used to how it drove on a normal basis. I am very attuned to my truck though and notice things that most people don't.

It does however, feel different because your are sitting higher off the ground. Important note is to check these bolts every 6 months or so.

The lift kits you can get from 4wheel parts or offroad warehouse. They don't have a kit for the 97's yet, so you will have to modify a ranger kit.
When you get the kit, first thing go and buy new bolts. You need shorter ones and it is most helpful if they are threaded all the way down and not just halfway. Also, if you go above 2" you will have to modify the steering extension to fit your truck. Radiator support is funky as well.

Good Luck in your choices.

I hit some serious trails next weekend, so I'll post on how my 3" lift handled etc.

Ohmygosh! "Smiley" is a Monster!

(BK, I second the other responses. Yeah, "settled in" meant it doesn't do it anymore. I may have just noticed it because I was the first to drive it, and it may take a jolt or two to settle it in. A good argument to support that you need to retighten them again after a few miles. )

Now back to the subject. I FINALLY finished my bumper relocations and reinstallation of my WAAG brushguard so I visited Rob yesterday to see how his project is going.

His rig is a monster! I bet it's the tallest Explorer yet. 35" tires plus 8.5"+ of lift; that thing is a foot higher. I'm too short to get in it. I can't wait to see it with the bumpers on it.

Concerning mine. I am very pleased with how it came out. Bumper relocation is truly a royal pain in the butt. I do not want to ever mess with that again. But now they are both way up there with the body and look great. I used some of my leftover Herculiner to coat my brushguard and taillight guards. It looks really tough.

That WAAG grillguard/brushguard was even tougher than the bumper relocation. It is NOT made to go 2" higher than its brackets were made for. What a nightmare. But it's done. I need to get some new pics to post in my Registry and signature line because it looks different now. I really like it.

Congrats Gerald,

I can't wait to see the new pics...

What other mods are on the list to be done?

Cheers for the feedback.

BK

[Edited by MeatyCrab on 09-24-2000 at 08:00 AM]

I'm getting a feeling we have a full blown lift race here.

Who can get highest fastest, with the largest tires.

Let's see, Rick could probably get 38" under his easily now.

Gofast has 35" now.

And Gerald wouldn't let me use the sawzall on the drivers side of ruined bumper.

What's next? Air bags to level the truck out in off-camber situation?

:)

Gee whiz Tom, I let you SawZall one side of my bumper.
Some people are never satisfied.... ;-)

Air bags for off-camber? Hmmmm..........

Blayne?meatyCrab

I think there is more clearance on the post 95s. Mine fit the 33" tires with only the 2" torsion bar lift/replacement, and I only needed to trim about a 1/4" from the back and front of the fenders at the bottom. The most rubbing came on compression at the tops of the fenderwells. Now that I have the body lift on, there is plenty of room. The 2" body lift worked well for me because I did not have to mess with the steering. The stock system had enough play to accomodate the lift. With a little trimming the radiator shroud fit into the bottom brackets without using the adapter. Bolts were the wrong size though.
Rick

Rob! We need some pictures of this bad boy. I know you got digital over there. :)

Pictures.......

Yes, I have the camara. I'll take some pics and post them sometime Wed. I have the FWD-FWD meeting tonight.

Yes, I'll get it done.

Brian, Yes your pictures are coming. It's like a bad dream, easier to get your truck lowered than to get pictures of it afterwards.

Thats the first time I have heard you refer to it as lowering other than a negative lift! Thanks Rob.

Back