Boilin' Over! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Boilin' Over!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Coolant filter

coolantfilter1.jpg

On the "to do list"
Family keeps making me take them to the beach on weekends...:banghead:
Thread size on mount is 11/16-16.
Cross reference for the filter to a wix is
Part Number: 24071
UPC Number: 765809240711
Principal Application: Cooling System Filter/Conditioner
All Applications
Style: Coolant Spin-On Filter
Service: Coolant
Height: 4.317
Outer Diameter Top: 3.694
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 11/16-16
Burst Pressure-PSI: 200
Nominal Micron Rating: 30
Note: Sheet -COOLANT FILTER/CONDITIONERS

Service: SSI
5021_1.gif

Does this get connected to one of the heater core lines? Wouldn't the metal parts inside of the filter rust out after a while?

you can hook it up before heater valve and return it via heater return line, or reservoir. It does not rust, its designed for the cooling system. I mean if you wanted to get creative you can feed it from your wherever you like as long as your getting constant flow and returning to a return line, reservoir.
You could also install a Toilet Paper Bypass filter to the cooling system. I seen pics of what they catch (don't ask me what thread...lol). It would be the best way hands down.

I have a motorguard bypass filter that I have been contemplating using on coolant side. I might just keep it for fuel.

Sorry 1shot for going off on tangent on thread.

Yee-Hah!

Dang that rad must have been constructed faulty. They must have built it with blocked passages where the auto trans fluid section goes thru or sumthin because the new one works WAY better.

as my pal Stimpy would say:
:D Happy Happy Joy Joy :D

LOL a complete cooling system overhaul...we live and learn...

and oops her picture will be fixed lol

good to hear!

takin it fer a ride

Finally he finds the solution to his problem in which many suggested a blocked passage way.

Yeeeeee Hawwwwwww

Now go take that puppy for a good long ride.

YEAH I been doin' about 2500 km since that last post...over the mountains and across the prairies...

OH and BrooklynBay... The Replacement Rad that was bad was a "MODINE" 2 row, a direct replacement for the Auto, 4.0 4wd C/w towing package rad. The one I replaced it with was an ORIGNAL Ford NOS Rad. LOL.

FYI, Modines come with a lifetime guarantee... if it's obstructed due to a corrosion issue, I suspect they would have replaced it at no charge. They're generally a good product... I've been using them for years.

Glad she's back up and running either way!

Lifetime!!!

FYI, Modines come with a lifetime guarantee... if it's obstructed due to a corrosion issue, I suspect they would have replaced it at no charge. They're generally a good product... I've been using them for years.

Glad she's back up and running either way!

Well thankz...when I get back home after my holidays I be draggin that plastic-tank wrapped peice of Aluminum ( and source of much suffering...) back to The Auto parts store it was obtained from...:D

FWIW, I'm posting a picture of my heater core after a hose disintegrated internally. The bits of rubber you see on the left hand side is what the heater caught. I'm sure my radiator has the same problem.

I would have expected to see the temperatures in post 11 to point at it though. Maybe it would show up on a thermal image?

The point is, no amount of radiator flush solution will dissolve rubber. A really strong backflush under the right circumstances may blow it out.

I'm glad you found the problem.

Attachments

• HC2.JPG
    HC2.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 5,550

Holy Hose Horrors Batman!

That is one ugly lookin heater core. Hella' a mess Shamaal!

I never saw any sort of bits in all of the flushings i attempted...and I flushed in both directions with and without tstat in place.
and the hoses didnt look too bad...but that photo of yours - jeez...that'sa ugly. The rad seemed to flow lots when looking at it during operation, but it was almost as if it was built out of non-heat transfering material lol - anyways its fixed - and holding cruise control at 140 up a high mountain highway pass proves it.

Trip thru Mountains...

BTW :D - Took my new girlfriend for a spin last week thru the mountains as I mentioned in earlier post - but here's the interesting bit... In combined flat & Mountain Highway run, I got a best of 11.1 L/100km consumption at speeds between 100 - 125 km/hr over 2500 km distance not including driving around in the cities...

thats = best of 25.4 MPG on Canadian Gallon (or 21 MPG US)
MAX range per tank of : 647 km (401 miles) :thumbsup:

since I usually get 15-17 L/100km in city higway daily use - I was very happy to get figures this good. :)

oh and here is a BIG white truck...a TINY little town called Logan Lake in Central B.C. They got the big dredger and Dump on display in Town center... (Pic taken on my way home last night...)
LoganAug19.jpg

Back