Bolt on or Weld on Exhaust? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bolt on or Weld on Exhaust?

91Explorer

Reaction score
I was planning on ordering the Flowmaster cat back exhaust from Summit for $158.95 but today I went to the local muffler shop and they quoted me $140 for 2.5" pipe and a Flowmaster muffler with no tip. Of course the muffler shop is going to weld the exhaust on rather than making flanges and bolting it up. Which one would you guys go for?

Oh yeah, I think the bolt-up version comes with 2.25" piping... could 2.5 piping really make a big difference?

I had a Gibson bolt-on on my F-150... it was cool but after a few weeks the exhaust started making a terrible rattling noise. Tried getting the bolts tighter and I couldn't, ended up taking it to Meineke to have them weld all the joints, so the bolt on became a weld-on :). Something to keep in mind. My flowmaster in my Explorer is a weld-on of course and I've had no problems with it, its built like steel.

I prefer bolt-on.

Welded systems are fine and have good rigid strength. Bolted systems will work just as well if the shop takes care to retain the factory hanger locations and add others as needed for your particular setup.
The thing I like about bolted flange systems is the versatility. Maybe for whatever reason you decide to get a different Explorer. The bolt on stuff that you have already paid for can be easily swapped out without paying another shop bill. Or you may want to upgrade with a hi-flow cat or?? You can do it yourself.
Hope this helps...

Back