Bondo And Herculiner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bondo And Herculiner

I'm completely new to body work so bare with me. I removed my ugly stock running boards on my 97 5.0 uncovering the ugly mounting holes. Would this work: Use bondo to fill these holes up, covering up the white bondo with black herculiner to somewhat blend with my stock black paintjob also protecting the rocker panels a little more?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bondo sucks but would probably work... however, if going to herc them, i say jsut get plastic plugs availabe at any hardware store and install those.... then herc away.....

is there a better filler I could use besides bondo?

the correct way to do it is weld the hole shut and grind it..... but thats labor intensive and a lot of people cant jsut do that and have it owrk...

rvaedge said:
I'm completely new to body work so bare with me. I removed my ugly stock running boards on my 97 5.0 uncovering the ugly mounting holes. Would this work: Use bondo to fill these holes up, covering up the white bondo with black herculiner to somewhat blend with my stock black paintjob also protecting the rocker panels a little more?

I bet since you said your new to body work then you probably don't know how to mig over a small hole and grind it down. I was just doing that yesterday on my hood on my project where I drilled some 3/16" hole in the wrong place. I don't know how larger the holes are you are talking about. But you can go to any auto store and get the fiberglass repair kit. And this way will take just as long as welding if not longer. It comes with the resin, hardner and some fiberglass cloth. Just grind the backside of hole, cut cloth larger then hole, mix the resin and hardner. Put some mixed resin around hole, place cloth over the resin then a little more resin. I wear rubber gloves and use my hands to spread it around. Or use the little plastic piece the give you with the kit. Also you want to hold cloth with one hand and spread with other or else it will slide all over the place. You should have also grinded the front also. And after you have done all the backside just add a little resin to front of hole, skip the cloth here. After drying, sand or grind front down to match metal. If they are small holes you can do the same things as above and just use bondo on the backside and make sure it comes thru front, grind down and then Hurc both sides. On my project when it came to filling in where the window slots were on my doors along the bottom I tacked in 1" wide metal along bottom slot and then used a thin layer of bondo along the top for a finished look. Surly I did not weld a continious weld down both sides. Along the sides I used the fiberglass resin/cloth thing.

I'm thinking of shaving the door handles and again I'll use a mix of metal patch,tacks and longer welds and clean it up with bondo. The bondo has become a better product then it was when I was a kid. And when done properly will last just as long. Been There Done That

thanks guys, I may tackle this and if I do i'll post some pictures when its all done

Putting body filler over a hole is about as dependable as a foot bridge made of toilet paper. Welding the hole is the " best " option, but if aperiance is not a main concern the plug and herc method will suit just fine.

I use Evercoat products
attachment.php

Of all the body fillers I have used that stuff is the best.

I didnt realize that body filler wouldnt work over holes, and I have NO welding experience or ability so maybe Ill just shoot some black rustoleum over them to keep them from rusting and leave them be. Thanks for the help guys! Thats why I love this forum so much is no matter what the question is, there is almost always someone with a good answer. Appreciate it guys!

Back