Boost controller? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Boost controller?

It’s an everyday driver so I want some fun, but it has to make sense too. I don’t want to be mixing gas and things like that.
Yup, that's your call. There's a pretty big difference between a 91 tune and an e30 tune, just FYI. VERY noticeable difference. But like everything else, there are trade offs (i.e., mixing at the pump...but this has been made easier these days with simple on-the-spot testers and apps that can calculate how much you'll need of what, etc.)

Why not do both? You can have fun when you want, or never....or all the time, haha.

So many possibilities...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the articles I've read, the limited amount of ethanol that is mixed with gas actually increases the gasoline's octane level in addition to decreasing the carbon monoxide levels being exhausted, although there is a very slight decrease in gas mileage.

"Adding ethanol to petrol in lower percentages, such as 10 percent ethanol and 90 percent petrol (E10), reduces carbon monoxide emissions from the petrol and improves fuel octane. Flexible fuel vehicles that can use E85 are widely available and come in many different styles from most major auto manufacturers."

Peter
Yes, as I mentioned, many stations put about 10-15% ethanol in regular gas anyway

E85 has an effective octane of about 108, so it's a sort-of poor man's race fuel. But it suffers from poor mpg (I'm tuned to the edge and have about a 9.2 mpg average, but I give zero f$%^ about fuel economy). It also has a different stoichometric value than standard fuel, so tuning to actual e85 requires lots of component upgrades in order to flow enough of it. Actual compatibility is a non-issue as most modern cars are all e85 compatible (at least in the sense that it doesn’t deteriorate parts).

But its where most perfromance minded individuals are going to these days

Yup, that's your call. There's a pretty big difference between a 91 tune and an e30 tune, just FYI. VERY noticeable difference. But like everything else, there are trade offs (i.e., mixing at the pump...but this has been made easier these days with simple on-the-spot testers and apps that can calculate how much you'll need of what, etc.)

Why not do both? You can have fun when you want, or never....or all the time, haha.

So many possibilities...
I hesitate at putting something in the tank that Ford doesn’t recommend. If e85 was ok, they would have make it a flex fuel vehicle. If larger amounts of ethanol were ok, they would have ok’d that to. I’m on with 87 or 91. I’m not looking to drag race anyone and my 1/4 time means nothing. If I could possibly get under a 5 Sec 0-60, that’s all I’m looking for.

Yes, as I mentioned, many stations put about 10-15% ethanol in regular gas anyway

E85 has an effective octane of about 108, so it's a sort-of poor man's race fuel. But it suffers from poor mpg (I'm tuned to the edge and have about a 9.2 mpg average, but I give zero f$%^ about fuel economy). It also has a different stoichometric value than standard fuel, so tuning to actual e85 requires lots of component upgrades in order to flow enough of it. Actual compatibility is a non-issue as most modern cars are all e85 compatible (at least in the sense that it doesn’t deteriorate parts).

But its where most perfromance minded individuals are going to these days
So with that being said, 87 octane with the standard 10% ethanol has better performance than straight 91?

I hesitate at putting something in the tank that Ford doesn’t recommend. If e85 was ok, they would have make it a flex fuel vehicle. If larger amounts of ethanol were ok, they would have ok’d that to. I’m on with 87 or 91. I’m not looking to drag race anyone and my 1/4 time means nothing. If I could possibly get under a 5 Sec 0-60, that’s all I’m looking for.
Ok...as I keep saying, you do what you want, but just know that it IS possible with zero consequence. The reason Ford doesn't make a flex fuel ecoboost is because tuning it to full e85 would give horrible fuel economy as well as limited power. It would require more expensive parts that dont jive with the bean counters at Ford

Again, it IS possible. You just have to not be scared...you should really do some research and explore a bit more. The guys on the SHO forums are pushing this platform quite far as opposed to what most folks here are doing....and both vehicles are identical as far as drivetrain goes...

So with that being said, 87 octane with the standard 10% ethanol has better performance than straight 91?
No. Keep in mind, though it does exist, you'll be hard pressed to find ethanol-free fuel

An awesome read on e85 for beginners such as yourself...breaks it down Barney-style.

No. Keep in mind, though it does exist, you'll be hard pressed to find ethanol-free fuel
There is ethanol
there is ethanol free 91 octane around here. It’s $1 more per gallon

There is ethanol

there is ethanol free 91 octane around here. It’s $1 more per gallon
Not sure why you'd use it. You'll gain more power, and to a point, better economy using the e10-e15 stuff when tuned (91 with the above-mentioned 10-15% ethanol added at the pump already). That ethanol-free stuff is intended for the older cars on the road that don't have the compatible rubbers/plastics. But all late model cars, to include this platform, are compatible.

Found there is alternate part number if you're looking on Rockauto, I believe it is this CX2594, based on what I read from other forums.

I'm sticking with just 93 octane.

Found some on ebay for $68
Search, Standard Ignition AS410 Turbocharger Boost Sensor
(disclaimer: I'm not a financial advisor or a parts expert)

Found some on ebay for $68
Search, Standard Ignition AS410 Turbocharger Boost Sensor
(disclaimer: I'm not a financial advisor or a parts expert)
Yeah, I wouldn't mess around with ebay and the part number I put out is THE part number. Not sure how that's hard to understand...try others at your peril...

Some really good info on tuners in this thread. I also fell for the LMS tune early on and still have it. The tuner device is definitely not modern by any means. It uses a crappy TFT touch screen that is barely useable. As mentioned it has a poor UI and not very useful features. I will definitely be upgrading to one of the new school devices eventually. That being said would the 3 Bar map make a difference with an LMS 93 stock tune or would they have to make changes? Most of the time I am maxing out anywhere from 12-14 psi. Might hit 15 on a good day. That is with about 2200-2400 fuel psi on 93 octane (e10). I am data logging using torque pro with MX bluetooth adapter.

Some really good info on tuners in this thread. I also fell for the LMS tune early on and still have it. The tuner device is definitely not modern by any means. It uses a crappy TFT touch screen that is barely useable. As mentioned it has a poor UI and not very useful features. I will definitely be upgrading to one of the new school devices eventually. That being said would the 3 Bar map make a difference with an LMS 93 stock tune or would they have to make changes? Most of the time I am maxing out anywhere from 12-14 psi. Might hit 15 on a good day. That is with about 2200-2400 fuel psi on 93 octane (e10). I am data logging using torque pro with MX bluetooth adapter.
You have an LMS tune and no 3bar MAP sensor? Interesting...I didn't know they did that. If so, it's your Achilles heel. Although you CAN tune with the factory 2bar MAP, you are limited to just 2bar of scale...meaning you can never go higher than ~14.5psi....hence your experience with your boost level. Considering stock boost is ~11-12psi, you're not really getting much improvement. The 3bar MAP doesn't add more power itself, it adds more RANGE the PCM can use to measure...adding a whole other atmosphere of reading...so now you can boost up to ~29psi (you can't go this high because of the limits of the components, but the sensor can measure boost that high). And simply swapping in the sensor will not let you take advantage of it...it will need an entirely new tune. Vice versa going back.

All these sensors are essentially 0-5vdc range sensors. In the case of the 2bar...0vdc is a low reading with 5vdc would be 2bar...the 3bar sensor is also 0-5vdc, but 0 being the low reading and 5vdc being 3bar...so you can see, if you have a tune designed for the 2bar and the PCM is getting a reading of 3vdc...that would equate to a different boost level with a 3bar sensor...

So scaling is for the 2 sensors are completely different.

Yes my engine is all stock. LMS did reach out and ask me about mods etc. I told them I had none and they had me upload my ECU to their device and send it to them with the "strategy code" so they know it's a 2 bar or i would hope they do haha. I figured it would require another custom tune if I upgraded but wasn't sure. What was the max boost u were seeing on the LMS tuner with the 3 bar map? Max today was 14.79 psi which I assume is all this 2 bar can handle haha

Yes my engine is all stock. LMS did reach out and ask me about mods etc. I told them I had none and they had me upload my ECU to their device and send it to them with the "strategy code" so they know it's a 2 bar or i would hope they do haha. I figured it would require another custom tune if I upgraded but wasn't sure. What was the max boost u were seeing on the LMS tuner with the 3 bar map? Max today was 14.79 psi which I assume is all this 2 bar can handle haha
I cant remember but it wasn't much...maybe 15 or 16. Look, I can't recommend anything LMS does. I've said my piece of how substandard they are. I'd run away from anything they tuch as fast as I could...but again...your money, your call.

You don't know what you don't know, but I can tell you, once you've gotten away from them and used another shop with an SCT or HPTuner, you won't believe what you've been missing or how you could even have thought LMS was anything worth entertaining...they are so irrelevant to the platform.

Back