Both drive shafts spin in 2WD mode? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Both drive shafts spin in 2WD mode?

DAVERES

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
Hello,

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport with 4x4 and
automatic locking hubs. There is a three way switch
in the cabin labeled as "2wd/4H/4L". This vehicle
has a 5 speed manual transmission.

Even though the switch is set to "2WD" I've noticed
that both the rear and front drive shafts are spinning
when the vehicle is in motion. I thought that the
front drive train would remain stationary unless the 4x4
switch was set to something other than 2wd.

Is it normal for both drive shafts to spin even in 2wd?

Thanks in advance for any information on this,

DaveR

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, that is normal. The front end spins, but is not engaged. Just like the 2001+ Rangers.

--Sean

It's because you don't have auto-locking hubs, they were done away with in '95. You have a 'live' axle up front. The hubs do not unlock, they are always engaged. When the wheels move, they move the axle, which moves the driveshaft. The transfer case is not locked in though, so the front drivetrain is just spinning freely.

I agree with all of that logic..but my '98 ranger did not have that kind of setup...live axle and all....to start with..I put an Explorer front axle in there (didn't like the plastic hubs....another great Ford invention) and am worried about the excessive wear on my transfer case since it was not origionally designed to spin with the wheels all of the time in 2wd.....will it be alright...

I seriously doubt it will hurt anything. In fact, it may actually help. It'll help keep the seals lubed and from hardening from no movement.

Yep, I'm willing to bet your ranger's t-case model number is exactly the same as 98-02 rangers and 95-2001 explorers.

cool...thanx....I'll post if it grenades......hehee

Back