Bought an Explorer, may have bigger problems than I thought (3 actually) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bought an Explorer, may have bigger problems than I thought (3 actually)

socci

Reaction score
City, State
Coventry, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
1. So I bought a 2000 Explorer awd yesterday. Its an XLT but has leather and keyless entry. It has 113000 miles, the body is in great shape and underneath is not really rusted at all. I test drove it any everything seemed fine except the oil gauge did not work. Like an idiot I thought the needle was just stuck under the pin somehow, but now I realize it spun all the way around. I am starting to worry that my oil pump is bad? If it is just the sensor, fuse, or gauge I am okay with that I will replace them this weekend. The motor does not make any noises as if it was lacking oil, is there anyway to know if I am damaging my motor before I test the gauge and whatnot this weekend?

2. I did not notice at first glance when buying it, but the freeze plug is slightly leaking at the rear of the motor. I am pretty sure it is the one that requires the tranny to be pulled to fix. It is not dripping, but it is wet around that area. Is there any temperary fix I can do for not, until it needs to be replaced? Maybe some sealant or something?

3. It did not do this on the test drive yesterday, but on the way to school today the truck was surging when holding the gas steady around 25-40 mph. I had overdrive on if that matters? I plan on replacing all plugs, wires, fuel filter, tranny/diff oil, and maybe engine oil. The car has a ford sticker saying next oil change is 115000 miles, so it would probably be a waste. Hopefully the tune up fixes the surging problem. What do you guys think? I read this is a common problem with Fords.

I paid 2500 for the truck. He was asking 2900. I am starting to think that considering it is in very good condition he let it go cheap because the oil gauge might be a bigger problem than exprected. The surging does not really bother me, and hopefully the freeze plug holds up for some time. I am just hoping I can replace the gauge and sensor to get it reading normal again.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

About the surging... I've been experiencing similar issues. Its not chronic and happens with a steady application of gas, but usually not very much gas. I have motorcraft plugs and wires and a fuel filter hoping that solves my issue. I suggest a tune up and go from there. Haven't gotten around to installing them yet so I can't say that will solve it for sure. Do check the trans fluid to make sure its clean, in case it is the trans slipping.

It is the 5.0 V8. I am going to change the trans fluid this weekend, but I experienced surging like this in my Vette which is a 6 speed. The Vette ended up being an intake leak, I really hope its not the tranny. It feels identical to the vette, both cars only did it when pressing the gas lightly as you said.

The oil pressure gauges on there aren't real gauges, they're "idiot" gauges. If you have less than 5psi of oil pressure they show 0, if you have more than 5psi pressure they show half way up. I doubt you have an oil pump problem, it's probably the sending unit or the cluster.

The oil pressure gauges on there aren't real gauges, they're "idiot" gauges. If you have less than 5psi of oil pressure they show 0, if you have more than 5psi pressure they show half way up. I doubt you have an oil pump problem, it's probably the sending unit or the cluster.

Good to know I will try that first. So is the sending unit the same as what I was calling the oil pressure switch? Thats probably a stupid question, but I want to make sure I buy the right thing.

Bad News though, it seems my surging may be transmission related. It was doing it again on the way home today, so I shut off O/D and it stopped. When O/D is on it surges pretty bad around 40ish unless I am really stepping on the gas. I am new to trucks, even automatics. If it is an O/D problem what am I looking at for repairs?

Edit: After some more research it seems some people have the o/d problem, but it is still fixed with a tune up. I guess we will have to wait and see when Im done doing the plugs and whatnot this weekend.

It is the 5.0 V8. I am going to change the trans fluid this weekend, but I experienced surging like this in my Vette which is a 6 speed. The Vette ended up being an intake leak, I really hope its not the tranny. It feels identical to the vette, both cars only did it when pressing the gas lightly as you said.

Intake leak does make sense because I have either an intake or vac leak, I can hear it.

The 5.0 has a very solid transmission.

I'd do the tune up and fresh fluids and take it from there.

My trans on my 01 went out at 107K. You can get a good used unit from a JY for pretty cheap. I paid $350 for mine with only 78K on it, and it shifts like brand new.

I was about to buy new fluids, but it is so damn expensive with 14 quarts I decided to check my fluid level and see teh condition of the fluid. The tranny is full and the fluid looks like a nice light red. I put it on my fingers and its nice and slick. Do you think its still worth changing. I bought a tranny filter too, but I can always return it.

I was about to buy new fluids, but it is so damn expensive with 14 quarts I decided to check my fluid level and see the condition of the fluid. The tranny is full and the fluid looks like a nice light red. I put it on my fingers and its nice and slick. Do you think its still worth changing. I bought a tranny filter too, but I can always return it.

You could have what you've got analyzed by a lab, then you'll know for sure whether or not you need to change it. An analysis like this is 100% definitive about the condition of the oil, as long as you do your part in pulling the sample.

Go here: http://polarislabs.com/

For anyone with the same problem in the future, after changing my plugs, wires, and fuel filter the problem is gone. The truck runs so much smoother now its amazing. I also disconnected the battery too. I appreciate the help from everyone.

Glad to hear that.

Back