Bouncy and rattling rear end | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bouncy and rattling rear end

mdtorska

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Sport Trac
When I drive down the highway my rear end is real bouncy understandable its a truck. When I drive on crappy city roads the rear end bounces excessively and the suspension rattels a lot. Yesterday I loaded 200lbs in the bed of the truck and no bounce, duh becuase of the weight. There was also no rattel, which I would think I at lease hear a little bit driving the crappy roads. Now the difference between the weighted down bed and the empty bead are night and day. What areas should I look into for the rear to render this issue.

I dont know if this pertains, but when driving on the highway and the rear bounces it will bounce laterally not excessive, but it is noticeable.

Any help would be appriciated.

Start be checking shocks and rear leaf springs by jumping up and down on the flat of the bumper. OEM shocks? Mileage?

Sounds like the suspension due to the differences with weight in the bed. Look closely at the rear spring shackles, if originals than they could be rusted out depending on where you live. Next is springs themselves, look for cracks or excessive bends, Ubolts that hold the axle to the leafsprings and the shocks. While you're under there look around and check everything else out, you'd be surprised what else could need attention under the bed.

It's a 2005 and has 80,000 mile on it. No rust I live in the desert of AZ. I have replaced the front and rear shocks with gabriel Max Contols 3 months ago. I did jump on the back of the bumber and got a friend to help. Responds how it should bounces when needed and stops when we hopped off. No rattle noise. I was thinking about just replaceing the shakels and the swaybar bushings and end links. Do yall know if there is a bushing kit for the springs out there?

Back