Rear End Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear End Noise

pwgsx

Reaction score
I noticed a squeek noise on my rear end when going over speedbumps or dips in the road for a few months now. If I jump on the bed of the truck it makes this same noise. I brought it to a shop for a car inspection and mentioned the nosie to him and he said it was the rear shocks. Well I got some new shocks to put on last night but before I got home it started raining. As I went to get the stuff out of my bed I noticed there was no noise. Odd......... so I jumped on the bed and it was fine, no noise. Long story short, how can the shocks be bad?? My theory here is - the water got under the truck and "lubed" something to stop the noise. Shocks are sealed so that cant be it. Any ideas or anyone have this same issue?? Leaf springs or springs??? Sorry for the long story LOL !!!

Yeah, it could have been dirt in the leaf springs or the anti-sway bar bushings.

would i be a good idea to change the shocks anyway?? Im at 70,000 miles

and can you just lube the bushings and leaf springs?? What would be good to use??

Yes, it is not a bad time to replace the stock shocks. The stock shocks are not that good to begin with.

If and garden hose is available I would just squirt the leafs with it.

And yes you should be able to lube the bushings with some axle grease.

Back