Box Canyon/Coke ovens run anyone? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Box Canyon/Coke ovens run anyone?

I've made the whole run, and made it with stock Grand Cherokees as I already stated.

well, I made a run up to Bartlett lake today. All did not fair well. I am certainly going to try my hardest to make it this Sunday.
See, this is how it went: I was crossing the Verde river when BAM, down I go. Hood is under the water, but the trusty explorer makes it to a little more shallow water before the engine dies. Thats right, water lock. A couple of hours later, we get her running, plugs, distributer, air intake manifold and all else is cleaned and dried. I have a lot more to do, such as pulling the carpet out and drying it (4 inches of water inside), getting new dif fluids, repacking the front wheel bearings, and checking all the fluids (hopefully I wont have to flush the trans, power steering and all). One good note: No water in the oil. It could have been a lot worse than it was.

I'll have a thread with pics in the Whoops! forum later tonight when I get the pictures back from Walgreens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I'm good to go this Sunday, Feb. 25th. Changed all my fluids, gonna tear the carpet out and pack the front wheel bearings on Sat.

How to get there: If you are heading East on the US 60, you are wanna go South on SR79, heading towards Florence. As you aproach Florence, you are going to cross some rail road tracks, and the turn off for Box Canyon is on the left.
The turn off is a dirt road, and there is a sign. More of a paper/cardboard sign that says 'Box Canyon' in black marker.

I'll be sitting there a few minutes before 9am eating a breakfast burrito. Can't miss my green explorer with the 4 chrome kc daylighters on the roof.

This is a full days trip. Minus any problems, we should be airing our tires back up at around 6pm. So bring a lunch and plenty of water.

Hey guys, I was just speaking to Rick and inviting him on this same trip. He said that he could not go but that he knew of a few guys that were going and pointed me in your direction.

Im in. I will see you guys there at 9:00. If we dont meet you for some reason we are running late. I will be on channel 37 on the CB. Call sign in "Hammer" We will find you guys back there.

I dirve a Black 4 door with a Superlift 5.5.
I will be with an extremely large white suburban a blue 91 CJ, a pretty nice blue 2000 dodge ram. A couple of full size blazers.

Call me on my cell anytime this weekend. 602-647-3986

As for the guy with the stock explorer, I brought my stock explorer through box cannon to the coke ovens and over to the start of the martinez trail. It should do just fine, "Its all about tire placement theese days Boys !" You can hitch a ride for the martinez run as it makes a simple loop back to an old camp. Pretty spectacular run.

See ya!

Hammer

Im logging off, I will try to check again tommorow. I have to go to travel to get to a computer so if I dont reply I will stick to the plan.

Latter

See ya there!

I'm planning on being there.

as of right now, I also plan on being there. Have to work on my truck a bit to make sure its trail worthy.

As long as nothing cmes up, Ill be there.

Thanks

No kids and no dog!!!

All right, Now Im not going. Hope to make another trip at another time.

Thanks

Steven

im leaving right now see ya all there

Trip went great, I am glad you all got to run the martinez trail and see the great sites involved on that run. Its one of my favorites. I just wish all those upity HUMMERs didnt show up.

See ya on the next trip.

Hammer

That was a great trip. Thanks for introducing us to the martinez trail. in my book, any trip that i come home from without major damage is a good trip. i had been planning on removing those plastic side rails, so having the rocks rip them off saved me some time.

i'll post my pics of the trip as soon as i develope the film.

Pictures are up

Here are the pictures I took of the run. These are just the four Explorers that were present. We also had a Chevy Z-71 truck and a Suburban with us.

This is the entrance to Box Canyon
Dead Link Removed

Here is mine on the natural ramp
Dead Link Removed

Here is Ryan tackleing the rocks
Dead Link Removed

Here is Clint deciding if he should go through the rocks
Dead Link Removed

Here is Hammer in the rocks
Dead Link Removed

To see the rest of the pictures, go to Dead Link Removed Select on the pictures to see the original size.

sweet !!!!!!!!!
mine looks the best j/k

"mine looks the best "

Sure it looks good…with me underneath fixing it! J/k

Back