box help

XplorerKid

Rolling on 37"s
Reaction score
City, State
Winter Haven Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Xplorer
ok i thought a bandpass box was great for creating bass. but after talking to a few on here they told me that sure it creates it but its not accurate and stuff.

if i build a sealed box do you think ill have cleaner and better souning bass?

will it be better than my bandpass?

and does shape matter of a box ?

like does a box like this .....

[\

act different than

a box like

[_]

??

thanx for the help people

and i know i want have kilelr bass my system aint all that good its only a pioneer IMPP

but i do have my eye on another system but i can decide if i want that or my boggers

PEACE

I would build a cubic box, to the exact internal volume that the manufacture reccomends, and make it sealed. Then fire it towards the rear hatch. Im sure others will argue that this is not the best way to fire them, but its how I have had the best luck. Have fun man!

IMHO typically, (i said typically, meaning not all the time for some of you nitpickers), boxes are like this:

Ported: Great for high output peaking at specific frequency, picky about box size vs. port length i.e. harder to build, more calculations. Normally a bit larger than a sealed enclosure.

Sealed: Easy to build, normally a nice flat reponse curve, not much peaking. Typically not very large enclosures.

Bandpass: Hard to build, even pickier than ported boxes about ports and size, as you have now 2 chambers for the sub, a sealed chamber tuned to a certain freq. and a second ported chamber tuned to another freq. Can get good high output, but if not done right sounds muddy. In addition these are typically some of the largest enclosures to make, as they are actually 2 combined.

There are other box types that have specialized areas of sound reprocuction, ie isobaric, ABC/snailshell etc.

Finally as Vairking said, follow the manufacturers specs, unless you have a box program, or access to one. In that case I'd say go for it, or ask a stereo shop to help...
(preferably not circuit city or best buy, as they will just ram a crappy prefab box down youre throat.)

As for shape, doesn't really matter, but I've been told that a cube is bad for an enclosure...

Back