• Register Today It's free!

Importance of Box

XplOdah

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
My bandpass box is lettin air through all over the place and the subs sound like crap. So ive been thinkin about gettin a new box. How much importance does the box play in how well my subs will sound? Do cheaper open boxes sound worse than more expensive open boxes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

quality plays a big part of box sound.... also, interior dimensions play an equal role.... everything most match perfectly or reasonably well or the sound will not fit your needs or performance expectations..... by open boxes.... do you mean sealed boxes?

No i mean the non-sealed boxes. I have a sealed bandpass box now. What would sound equally well with my 2 xplod 12s and my 760watt xplod amp?

Well personally I think that bandpass boxes sound like crap anyway. If you're talking about the air coming out of the ports, the that's normal and is what is supposed to happen. But if it's coming out of other places then (like seams) then you could just buy some caulk and seal it. If it sounds more lik the way you want then keep it, if you want a better sound then get a sealed box. If I were you, I would get a sealed box as close to 1 cubic foot as possible. If you can't find one exactly that size, then go a little smaller and put pollyfill in it until you get the desired results.

by sealed do u mean without the glass covering

I mean sealed as in there is no place for air to escape (no ports or any other kind of ventilation)

this is what I'm talking about.

Also check what the manual says for box specs. Not every sub will sound good sealed and not every sub will sound good ported. Just depends on what the company designed it for. Like my stroker is set-up strictly for ported enclosures only. If i put it in a sealed enclosure i would be damaging the sub. Just double check what your subs manual says is all im saying.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA That is hilarious, oh what a thread......

First off ditch the Sony Xplod junk, go buy a book or talk to somebody who knows about car audio. Learn the basics before you go spending a bunch of $$$$ on stuff you dont understand.....man I am in the wrong business

I agree with you entirely 410 but lately whenever you speak about "someones quality of stuff" you get hammered so i dont even bother with it. What is so funny about this thread his non-knowledge of what we are saying? Yea sony sucks and there amps will "literally" start on fire, but is that what he wants to hear no....so let him be a noob for now everyones got to experience it sooner or later. Yes you are in the wrong business ;)

Wow, sounds like we have an audio genius in here. I thought this forum is to help people and not rag on them for what they got. Maybe he is not into competition sound. Maybe he is just like me and just wants his tunes to be louder than stock. I dont believe he was in here to show off and stuff his goods down anybodys throat. He was just asking a question. Just be nice enough to answer it just as nice as he asked it. I would help but I'm not into car audio like I am in home audio.

What makes subs sound good is mostly what type of box it is in and the amount of airspace that it is allowed to operate at.

First, I would get rid of the bandpass box. Sealed or ported is the way to go. If you go to your local audio shop (try to avoid chain stores like Circuit City and Best Buy) and look for a good sealed or ported enclosure that is pre-built. Get one that is at least 1 cu/ft of airspace per chamber.

Now, I have heard some very bad things about Xplod subs and amps, but that is what you have so work with that. A new box will make a significant different in SQ as well as SPL.

Back