• Register Today It's free!

brake caliper

ducefour24

Reaction score
City, State
Turlock, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
okay so my mom was driving her 94 ford explorer XLT the other day and brake light came...so I thought the brakes were bad took the tires off and the calipers... and the brakes were shot the driver side inner brake pad was gone like not in the caliper at all it must have fell out while driving... the caliper rubbed against the rotor and I tried to push the piston in with a c clamp in wont budge...so what i need to know is do I need to replace the caliper if so how do I chage it out?...also rite before all this happened the brake pedal went to the floor and you could feel only the back brakes workin when the pedal was pushed all the way down

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to replace the caliper and likely the rotor too. If you do one side you must do both.The caliper is the easy bit. It is just 2 pins and 1 fluid line. to replace the rotor you must take apart the hub and take the rotor off. If you are not an experienced mechanic this is a big job. Make sure you seat your bearing at the correct torque. If yopu only replace the caliper and pads expect the brakes to go out faster than normal since the rough rotor will chew your break pad away.

Okay so I went to autozone and got complete rotor caliper pads and ready to the job but I have one question left do I need to bleed the brakes since the pedal goes all the way to the floor...I just want to make sure so I can make this as painless as possible...
and thanks for the reply

If you replace the calipers, you have to bleed the breaks.do all four also, start at back passenger side.

X3 on replacing fluid and bleeding from the rear passenger side.

Easy job, just takes time and patience. The Haynes manual is pretty good for use in this job, unlike other jobs.

Back