How to: Replace 1st gen Brake caliper. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Replace 1st gen Brake caliper.

llamaking122

Reaction score
City, State
Worthington, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer V8
alrighty in this How To i will show you how too replace a caliper on a 1st gen explorer.
tools needed:
Lug Nut wrench.
hammer
wide flat head screwdriver
jack and jack stands.
11m wrench or socket
9/16 (iirc) wrench or socket.
New caliper
New brake pads:
***Please tell me if anything is wrong***
1. apply parking break and situate jack under appropriate jack spot.
2. loosen lug nuts then jack up vehicle
3. put jack stand under vehicle.
4. finish taking off the lug nuts and take wheel off. (i found it easier too keep the hub on so i dont get even more greese on me)
5. lay wheel to the side
6.take hammer and screwdriver and hammer out both slide pins.
http://www.explorer4x4.com/tips2.html#caliper

bjbjpinoutlrg.jpg

IMG_20110224_145021.jpg

7. LEAVE CALIPER ON. loosen the bolt on the back and make sure too catch all brake fluid in a container.
IMG_20110224_145214.jpg

8. MAKE SURE YOU TOOK BOTH BANJO FITTINGS(AM I RIGHT) OFF
IMG_20110224_145524.jpg

9. Put brake line up too avoid loosing as much brake fluid as possible.
10. take bolt and put one banjo fitting on it and get new caliper ready too put on.
11. put on inner brake pad set caliper in its spot.
IMG_20110224_145446.jpg

12. take bolt put it throught the brake line then put the other banjo fitting on.
13. walk bolt in with fingers too avoid stripped bolt
14. take 11mm wrench or ratchet and open bleeder 1/4 turn only
15. put in new slide pins after lubing them up. (anti seize works good.)
IMG_20110224_150658.jpg

16. once brake fluid starts too flow out the bleeder close the bleeder.
17. now bleed the braking system keeping an eye on the brake fluid resivoir.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome write up. I'll be doing this once the snow is gone! Thanks llama :D

Great right up and nice shiny calipers :)

Do you have any shots of how you hit the slide pins to remove them. That seems to always confound people.

Also, Why are you waiting for fluid to come out of the brake bleeder before you actually bleed the brakes?

~Mark

Do you have any shots of how you hit the slide pins to remove them. That seems to always confound people.

Also, Why are you waiting for fluid to come out of the brake bleeder before you actually bleed the brakes?

~Mark

I don't have pics but it was easy enough...I just stuck some lineman's pliers on the end and squeezed and tapped the plier head in until it was past the little tabs. Then I just did it the way he said, used a screwdriver to tap the rest of the way out.

I know it's not a picture but looking at my explanation it seems pretty simple...

~Mark

it just helps speed up the bleeding process. it fills te caliper with fluid.

Awesome write up. I'll be doing this once the snow is gone! Thanks llama :D
Your welcome.
Great right up and nice shiny calipers :)
yup they are on sale at rock auto
I don't have pics but it was easy enough...I just stuck some lineman's pliers on the end and squeezed and tapped the plier head in until it was past the little tabs. Then I just did it the way he said, used a screwdriver to tap the rest of the way out.

I know it's not a picture but looking at my explanation it seems pretty simple...
ya i didnt take a picture beacuse i thought that was the easiet part :D

Thats similar to how I do it. I use 2 screw drivers at once and hit the end of both at the same time. I've done the pliers method too, but I'm better at the double screwdriver method.

I just figured it would be good to mention.

~Mark

Thats similar to how I do it. I use 2 screw drivers at once and hit the end of both at the same time. I've done the pliers method too, but I'm better at the double screwdriver method.

I just figured it would be good to mention.

~Mark

if i get a chance i will go out and show it.

Just to nitpick :) Do I see a SAE wrench on a metric bolt? I'm pretty sure thats a metric bolt (at least on our '92 it is).

~Mark

Just to nitpick :) Do I see a SAE wrench on a metric bolt? I'm pretty sure thats a metric bolt (at least on our '92 it is).

~Mark

the clostest metric size wouldnt go on usually after 17 years bolt do change size

Ahh, corrosion issue. Bolts here in the dry southwest don't have that issue so I don't really have experience with bolt sizes changing some.

~Mark

Ahh, corrosion issue. Bolts here in the dry southwest don't have that issue so I don't really have experience with bolt sizes changing some.

~Mark

I'm a fellow Ohioan and I can lament Mr. Llama's woes. When I put my lift on I was amazed how a socket worked perfectly on a bolt on one side and wouldn't come close to fitting on the other...even with boatloads of PB Blaster and some light hammering. On our trucks up here you might as well break out everything - 6 pt, 12 pt, metric, SAE and just start cycling through them to get one that will finally fit :(. We are creative out of necessity up here.

I'm a fellow Ohioan and I can lament Mr. Llama's woes. When I put my lift on I was amazed how a socket worked perfectly on a bolt on one side and wouldn't come close to fitting on the other...even with boatloads of PB Blaster and some light hammering. On our trucks up here you might as well break out everything - 6 pt, 12 pt, metric, SAE and just start cycling through them to get one that will finally fit :(. We are creative out of necessity up here.

and if none of those work..... channel locks are the best. but ya my teeruck is rusted. but she runs and gets me too where i need too go. and i feed her gas addiction.

~Mark

its funny u say that cause my goal in life is too move to arizona and start a pizza shop =)

its funny u say that cause my goal in life is too move to arizona and start a pizza shop =)

X2 on the Channel Locks...better grip than a crescent wrench.

And if you leave your X behind when you go to AZ I'll take your limited seats ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

X2 on the Channel Locks...better grip than a crescent wrench.

And if you leave your X behind when you go to AZ I'll take your limited seats ;)

i wont move there for awhile. but if i still have my x when i do you can have them. still gotta do college and i graduate high school at the end of may soo it will be a while.

Back