Brake Disc Removal

Chris H

Reaction score
City, State
Dorset, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Hi Folks

I am a new member and was hoping to introduce myself before posting a request for help! Sorry - the problem arose unexpectedly.

I have a 2003 Ranger XLT 4WD and am trying to replace the brake discs/rotors. The Haynes manual and everything else that I have seen suggests that they should slide off once the caliper and bracket have been removed - but mine don't seem to want to. They appear to be held in place by a boss with 4 lugs on it. I would attach a picture to explain but it doesn't look like I can add attachments.

I would be really grateful if someone could help me with this - thanks and best wishes to all.

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are free floaters. There is nothing holding them on but the calipers. There most likely stuck on the studs a bit. Just use a rubber mallet and tap them a bit to free them up.

Thanks for advice Gmanpaint. I have given them some serious tapping but no movement. I hope that I have worked out how to load an image. Would you be kind enough to take a look and let me know if it is what you would expect. As I said in the initial post, the disc seems to be held in place by the central boss with 4 lugs.

Thanks a lot

Chris
PhotoView.jsp

PhotoView.jsp

With the exception of its name, the Thai-built global Ranger sold in the UK has virtually nothing in common with the North American Ranger made in the U.S.

Try gently tightening the correct pitch metric bolt in the threaded hole at 9 o'clock. A hole like that is sometimes provided to help extract the rotor from a rusted center.

DSCF2454.jpg

Thanks rwenzing - tried it but no joy. Does anyone know of any manuals or service documentation for UK Ranger variants?

it seems to me that the holes for the wheel studs are just a hair bigger than the wheel studs,
i would say that tapping on the edge of the outside of the rotor should jar it loose,,
hit it forward than rotate it a bit and tap it again till it comes loose,,

Spray penetrating oil in the stud holes, putting the oil between the rotor and hub. Let it soak for a while, then, as corkey said, use a rubber mallet on the rotor to break it loose. Hit the side of the rotor, hit the inside of the rotor (aiming outward) - firm but gentle hits, moving around the rotor, should break it it loose.

Make sure to clean all traces of oil from the rotor, hub and anywhere else before reassembly.

To prevent this from happening in the future, spread a thin coat of wheel bearing grease on the hub surface (where the rotor contacts it) during final assembly.

I agree with using penetrating oil. I don't see anything holding the rotor on there but rust.

I looked at that threaded hole at 9 o'clock again. It seems to have a screw driver slot in a set screw or stud. Maybe you have to turn that in to clear the threads on the rotor to get it off. I think it will take some penetrating oil to move it if it is a set screw or something like that.

Thanks for all of your help and advice. I've had no success yet but am anxious not to use too much force until I have to. I have managed to locate a Ford Service manual in CD form. I am assured that it covers the UK version of the 2003 Ranger XLT -so fingers crossed. I will let you know the outcome when it arrives. Thanks again. Chris

I have used a 3 jaw puller on stuck rotors before. Turn a bit, tap a bit, turn a bit, tap a bit, and so on.....

Once it is off, I would either replace them for new, or have them turned and cleaned of any rust inside the I.D. A little anti seize applied to the I.D. would help remove them in the future.

Mission accomplished - based on a combination of all of your advice plus the application of a little heat. It did eventually slide off like you all said! The Ford Service manual did not prove to be very enlightening, it simply said "remove in the order indicated in the table".

So thanks to all for you advice and help and a great first experience with the Serious Explorations forum.

Chris

Back