brake lamp issues

unabonked

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98Sport, 94XLT, 96Sport
My brake lights arn't working. I replaced the fuse and the bulbs... no go. The center lights is also not working.

I broght it into ford, who said it was due to some aftermarket lights i'm using. These lights are run off a relay thats attached to the foglamp assembilly. These work fine. Ford said they could dosconnect it for $300. I highly doubt this is the problem as the fogs and the aftermarket lights work fine. Arn't they completly indipendant of the brake lights anyway?

So now its down to two things as I see it... somthing is either dosconnected, or somthing is shorting, which I doubt because it would have blown the fuse.

What and where should I be checking for disconnections? Could it be the relay brake light relay? If so, where is the brake light relay located? I can hear that clicking sound when depressing the brake pedal, so I know the switch is still intact.

It is probably the stop light switch that attaches to the pedal itself. If this is blown the lights will get no power hence why the fuses are still good. The part is around 8-10 dollars from Ford and it takes no more than a few minutes to do yourself.

Well, I looked at the switch thats conected to the brake pedal and the lights will come on by softly pressing the pedel but want stay on. Could it be the swith conected to the pedal that keeps blowing the fuse and keeping the brake lights from coming on?

Back