brake pedal slowly going down about 1/2 inch after truck is stopped | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

brake pedal slowly going down about 1/2 inch after truck is stopped

vipersinu2

Reaction score
City, State
The Big City of Orange City, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Navigator 450hp
2007 mountaineer 4.6, awd, 93,000 with traction control. My brake pedal slowly going down about 1/2 inch after truck is stopped. The fluid was very dark. I just flushed system, I ran half gallon through system complete clean. But problem still there, I noticed auto part stores sell a master cylinder without traction control. Does anyone have a tip on where to purchase a master cylinder with traction control or rebuild kit, and installation tips?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the problem just start? Ford has a tsb for low brake pedal feel which entails replacing the entire brake pedal and bracket assy.

I just purchased the truck last month; it has always been that way since I had it. I noticed if I pump brakes coming to a light the pedal is higher and feels harder. The softness does not bother me, it is the extra travel at the end, if I replace master cylinder What step do I have do to ensure that the ABS does not get messed up? It looks very easy to replace, but I am worried about getting air in the ABS unit.

If you bench bleed the master cylinder and then bleed the lines at master cylinder you should be ok but I would still do a service bleed on the HCU which requires a Ford dealer tool.

Do you have the TSB # for the brake pedal by chance?

tsb 09-01-06

Brake Pedal

I tested 5 other brake pedals today, on 5 different explorers. They all feel the same as mine, all of pedals dropped about an inch after the pedal was pressed all the way.

Back