Brake Pedal soft after several parts replaced - RESOLVED! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Pedal soft after several parts replaced - RESOLVED!

Post number 23 has been selected as best answered.

Let us know if that resolves the soft pedal otherwise I have some advice that might help
Dealt with soft pedal on my wifes 07 FJ after getting some air into the ABS pump because the front calipers were off the truck for a few days
Also I have dealt with air in ABS systems on explorers a few times in the past

I'll certainly keep you all updated. I have done the ABS Service Bleed about 10 times now trying to get the air out. At this point, I'm really thinking the mechanical issues we located have to be handled first and foremost.

Once we KNOW all of our calipers and pads and everything else is good (and firmly mounted and not trying to break) we'll see how we look on air.
If I still have a blah pedal, I'll certainly hit you up!

Thanks again!

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think we MAY be getting a little of that action on the funky front caliper as well. I'm not entirely sure how well the caliper pistons seat when the caliper is allowed to pivot on the pins due to no bushing in the bracket.

I'm trying to finish up some other stuff, then I will go buy another caliper from another vendor to try out. We also found that the new brake pads we installed (that now only have 18 miles on them) are chunking out at the center slot. So, we'll be getting a different set of pads as well.

AutoZone and I will be having one of those unpleasant discussions, you know?

Tim
I know about auto zone , they cut me off and denied that I even bought some parts at auto zone in the first place . the receipt in front of them meant nothing

Hey, hey, we got brakes baby!

I went and bought a new caliper, and a rotor/pad kit at Napa, installed it all, bled it out again, and bang! We got brakes. Pretty decent brakes to be honest. The missing slide pin bushing was definitely the main culprit, be I found another issue that while it wasn't causing my soft pedal, it was going to cause a serious issue soon.

20220223-162153.jpg

That is the real bad one on the right front. Here's the other two from the left front, this side wasn't having problems, but this was about to turn into one.

20220221-135257.jpg

20220221-135300.jpg

Those brake pads had 18 miles on them! I couldn't get a good pic of the missing bushing in the brake caliper bracket, my phone just wouldn't focus down the rubber boot.

But again, I thank you all for your suggestions, and in the end, we whipped it!

Tim

whos pads are those? Duralast? regular or gold?

whos pads are those? Duralast? regular or gold?
These were Duralast, but not the Gold. Rather unlike me to buy the cheaper set, but that was all they must have had at the time.

Excuses aside, I'd avoid these. We replaced them with Napa Premium pads, they seem to be quite a bit better.

Tim

Glad you got it done…. And THANKS for posting your solution - that makes this Forum even more helpful.

Well done.

Back