• Register Today It's free!

Brake Problems

FXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Loxahatchee, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Installed slotted/drilled rotors with ceramic pads. Now brakes feel weak all around and occassionally pedal goes to floor. When I turn the wheel and move I can hear a dragging / groaning sound. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like either your caliipers are sticking or you need them bled.

Problem with brakes figured out. It appears that one of the outer bearings were slightly too big. Just a miniscule but enough that it didn't seat properly which in turn didn't seat the rotor properly. Wrong size bearing was provided by Pep Boys which have given me the wrong parts several times before. Remind me not to buy parts from them again. Brakes working great now.

Problem With ABS

On my 1997 Explorer 4.0,auto,the ABS light comes on and the brake pedal kicks back on you and the brakes make a strange sound,any ideas?.Thanks.Mark

alvin said:
On my 1997 Explorer 4.0,auto,the ABS light comes on and the brake pedal kicks back on you and the brakes make a strange sound,any ideas?.Thanks.Mark

thats the ABS working ;)

The ABS light should NOT come on if the system is working properly...EVEN if you are making a panic stop. The ABS light only comes on after the self test IF there ia a problem of some sort.

GSEREP1 said:
The ABS light should NOT come on if the system is working properly.

Yup, he's right there. I've had ABS engaged on my truck without the ABS Light ever coming on. If the ABS light is on, always check your exciter rings first, then the readings on the sensors (cause more than likely a sensor is bad).

-Drew

I wish I knew how to read these sensors without paying the dealership. I am sure one of the sensors is bad, because the reluctor ring (exciter ring) actually contacted the sensor and left a gouge in it.

I will have the brake fluid flushed tomorrow, and then probably change both front rotors with Ford units. The brakes have been changed 3 times in the last 8 years with NO problems. I feel bad because I used non Ford parts for the first time, and look what happens.

I also find out today that Pep Boys has a history of stocking rotors that cause problems on Fords...NOW I FIND OUT.

I have to get this fixed soon...it is driving me crazy.

Back