brake system sabotage! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mase0606

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 explorer sport trac
2005 Ford explorer sport trac.....continuously having brake problems after replacing part after part... took it to a shop who told me someone has put oil in my brake fluid reservoir. so now im told i need to replace the entire brake system due to contamination.. it has failed all my new parts installed and they need replacing as well....estimated around $1750. parts and labor...2 parts they couldnt get I was told i needed to get to them...ABS pump and the proportioning valve..

I got the ABS pump .... proportioning valve is the last thing i am having a hard time finding, told it was a discontinued part. It keeps pulling up master cylinder with proportioning valve.... is this the only way to purchase this valve? I already purchased the master cylinder....why did it not come with the valve? any advice on this part... or situation? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I would bring it home and start pumping brake fluid through it.

Brake fluid is different from other fluids

Many automotive fluids are petroleum based. Automatic transmission fluid, engine oil and power steering fluid are examples of oil-based fluids. Engineers specify alcohol-based fluid for brakes and it is not compatible with petroleum fluids. They use alcohol because it resists heat and cold and helps absorb any moisture that enters the system.

They design the rubber used in the braking system for high pressure sealing. Manufacturers also design this type of rubber for use only with brake fluid. Severe damage results from even the smallest amount of petroleum-based fluid added to the brake system. Oil-based fluid causes the rubber in the braking system to swell and very rapidly deteriorate.

What Happens When Power Steering Fluid Is Put In The Brakes

Lol, I worked at a tire shop back in the 90's when I was going to school. One of the apprentices in the local Canadian Tire was putting power steering fluid in brake systems for a couple days. That idiot got us a lot of work.

Back