Brakes a double flare? single flare? what are they? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brakes a double flare? single flare? what are they?

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
our brake line is 3/16? What size is the tube nut and is our line a flare, double flare or what? thanks yall, rather do it my self instead of the 130+ tax and labor the shop is trying to charge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are double flair. You know you can buy preflaired lines with fittings already on them... They may not be quite the right length but you get the one slightly longer and take up the slack somewhere.

I tried at Advanced Auto and they told I couldnt, but I have a NAPA and an Auto Zone here to, where would I be able to get preflared and fitted lines? thanks for the help, look forward to hearing back from u.

Stores like NAPA and Motor Products sell many brake lines, they all sell fuel lines. Check the ends that you need carefully, they are often different on each end. Good luck,

That is what im trying to figure out, cause my dilemma is, I have one car and that is the exp and no family or friends close enough to take me to store when i take it off. so i havta find out what all i need so i can just go get it, lol brake fluid use is getting crazy!

Which line are you replacing? If it's one of the ones going into the master cylinder, you may need to also get a thread size adaptor. Either way, you should be able to buy lines with fittings already on them and whatever adapter you may need at any decent auto store. No need to deal with flaring lines but you will need to bend the lines. Use the old line as a template and don't make any sharp bends.

The hardlines are all 3/16", and for the most part have standard double flares. When ABS was introduced the European manufacturer used components with both std and metric fittings. As such never throw away your old fittings until you know the new ones fit.

One my '93 with 4wABS the rear line from the hydraulic unit was all standard fittings with double flares.

The driver's hard line had a metric fitting with bubble flare that connected to the hydraulic unit. The other end of the line was a std fitting with double flare that connected to the brake hose at the coil bucket. The best thing to do when replacing this line is to get a 3/16" line with metric fittings and bubble flares. You can then cut the hardline and use a flaring tool to make a double flare.

Note: The metric fitting on the hydraulic unit was oversized and the std metric fitting wouldn't fit (that's why I never toss stuff away until you're sure you don't need it). Also if you haven't used a flaring tool before you should practice several times as the cheaper models (parts store rentals) take a little practice to have them come out correctly.

NAPA has the lines in assorted lengths and the fittings. The lines are 3/16. I recently bought some of the coated lines for my Ex. We did have to cut a line to avoid running the line up to the RABS valve, which is in a tight place and probably has a metric fitting. Everything except the RABS/ABS parts are 3/16 line with 3/8-24 fittings. The brass coupling nut which has an inverted flare to mate with the double flare on the line is NAPA part number BK 6413290. The mating nut which goes on the end of the line (if you cut and flare it) is BK 6413295.

My friend has a flaring tool and some experience with it, so the two of spent a few hours replacing the rusted line that runs to the rear axle, the line running from the "T" to the left rear brake (also rusty) and the rear flex line (beginning to crack).

If you like, I'll get you the NAPA part numbers for the lines I bought and the flex hose.

Bob

Back