• Register Today It's free!

Brakes are pissin me off!!

the_don

Reaction score
City, State
park city, ut
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 exploder limited 5spd
So a few weeks ago i noticed my '93 starting to pull to the right when i step on the brakes i didnt think to much of it just figuring it was about time to do them, then a few days ago i went out to dinner with the wife and going in to town there is a nice long 8% downgrade for a few miles, at the bottom i pull up to a stop light and noticed nice thick cloud of smoke rolling out of the front left corner, get pulled off to the side, jump out and it smells like burning moly grease. not want to kill the night we keep going but i stop at autozone(the only place still open at the time) and pick up a set of wheel seals, ceramic pads, four wheel bearings, and a tub of ford grease. i got up to the shop today, changed everything, and on my way back home, now its pulling HARD to the right so hard that as i was doing 65 i damn near slammed in to the car to my right when i started slowing down for a left turn, halfway though the turn i see more smoke from the front left except now it smells like burnt friction material oh and now i have a horrible vibration through the truck and steering wheel. where do i start looking now?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you may need to replace the calipers. I'd also check into getting new rotors at the same time, as well as bleeding the entire system. Good luck with it!

Time to look at the calipers, they may not be releasing fully.

You might be able to get away with greasing the pins. Within this year I've replaced several warped rotors from stuck caliper pins.

If you still have the problem after greasing them, then replace the whole caliper.
How do the drums look?

the pins got cleaned in the parts cleaner and the rubbers still looked great, the caliper and caliper bracket slide surfaces got cleaned and polished with a 320grit rolock and my air sander, then regreased with the same grease as the wheel bearings. and i dont know about the drums, i havent been in there in the better part of 6 months. although i did notice some chipping around the outside edge of the caliper pistion, but i didnt think too much of it because the chipping did not go past the rubber dust boot.

Could also be bad brake hoses, the rubber can restrict flow and may collapse.

Mine did the exact same thing. The soft lines in the front break down, brakes get hot/hot weather...they acted like a check valve and just kept the brakes from releasing. Does great things to the rotors.

Back