• Register Today It's free!

Brakes Locked

Nasboat24

Reaction score
City, State
Naples FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Sport
My son was stopping at stop sign putting on brakes, he heard a louc clunk then as he accelerated it was clunk clunk clunk and he thought, do I have a flat. He didnt
He pulled into parking spot and left car there. When he puts it in drive it does the same thing clunk clunk and wont go forward. But if he puts it in reverse it will go in reverse. Its like the brake is locked or broke?? Unfortunately he is in Daytona at University and Im 5 hours away! Any suggestions?? Please need help asap to get him back and running to get to classes. Thank You anybody and everybody for your advise and help... Worried , Broke Mom of a College Student! HELP!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a lower brake caliper bolt has fallen out. If no damage has been done it's a cheap fix. Replace the bolt with a new one, using thread locker and a torque wrench to install it. Do all the caliper bolts while you're at it. This happens fairly often and can break the wheel and damage the brake caliper and bracket. The more the vehicle is driven the more damage will occur.

New brake caliper bolts are available from an auto parts store.

Autozone example:

http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...yKeyWord=brake+caliper+bolt&fromString=search

Had him take pictures and it looks like from the pics that they are both on there? Was told by someone that it sounds like a broken brake pad? Does that sound possible?

It was the Caliper Bolt!!!

Had it towed to shop and the bolt was missing... Now they are telling me that it has to have wheel bearing replaced on front right side. Same as where caliper bolt was missing.. AND The shop told me it would be $240.00!!! Does that seem right or unfair price. Called two other shops in area. Was quoted a price of 125.00 from one shop and 175.00 from another shop? Why such a difference in prices? PLEASE HELP ME. I AM A BROKE MOM OF A BROKE COLLEGE STUDENT! The car is 5 hours away and my husband usually does the work but we cant get there. He has to work and I am pretty much bed ridden with health problems right now.. Please give me some ADVICE...Thank You!!!!! i AM SO HAPPY i CAME ON HERE ON FOUND OUT ABOUT THE CALIPER BOLT.. What a money saver this forum has been already! My son is volunteering for ROTC at Daytona Speedway tonight so before he goes I will have him jack up the car to see if the wheel shakes or moves is what I was told to see if it needs bearings.:salute:

As long as the tire still holds air and there is no huge gouges in the wheel it will be just fine. I have seen this happen a few times on all makes and models. I use a dab of red loctite on the caliper bracket bolts for this reason.

Is it 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive? I don't see that info listed. 2 wheel drive is a $10 bearing and 4 wheel drive is $110 hub assembly.

Is it 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive? I don't see that info listed. 2 wheel drive is a $10 bearing and 4 wheel drive is $110 hub assembly.

This is true. Plus if it's 4WD there is a large price spread between quality and cheap Chinese hub assemblies (front wheel bearings).

I think I'd have the missing caliper bolt replaced and have him check the wheel/bearing hub before replacing it. Wheel/hub bearings usually make groaning noises when they go bad and if one side needs doing the other side isn't going to be far behind. It could be that the shop that found the caliper bolt missing is trying to find a way to make more money off you. After all, they're not gonna make much money off you by replacing a $3 bolt.

FYI: RockAuto price range on 4WD hub assembly is $45-$160. 2WD = $1.76-$32.79.

KODA,

It is a 2 wheel drive.. 2000 ford explorer sport 4.0 . I also believe he is trying to get as much money as possible. He is telling me all kings of things that need to be done and should be done. Also said the spindle may need to be replaced too? My husband asked repair shop manager to jack it up so my son could shake the wheel and take a video of it and the mechanic said no he wont let him take a video of it to let us see how much play is in it. He has given me a list of all the repairs that need done... Stuff that is not even mechanical. broken lock on one door, hood not staying up, ect.... Seems like they are trying to make as much money off of out of towners during Daytona Speedweek.... hmmmm.... I have called 4 shops in area and ALL of them are half of what he wants to charge me.. What should I do?

Just pay them to put a bolt in it and drive it to another shop. If it was driving good before the bolt came out chances are everything except the pads are just fine. To be honest the pads are probably fine but a second opinion and a new set of eyes would be your best bet.

KODA,

It is a 2 wheel drive.. 2000 ford explorer sport 4.0 . I also believe he is trying to get as much money as possible. He is telling me all kings of things that need to be done and should be done. Also said the spindle may need to be replaced too? My husband asked repair shop manager to jack it up so my son could shake the wheel and take a video of it and the mechanic said no he wont let him take a video of it to let us see how much play is in it. He has given me a list of all the repairs that need done... Stuff that is not even mechanical. broken lock on one door, hood not staying up, ect.... Seems like they are trying to make as much money off of out of towners during Daytona Speedweek.... hmmmm.... I have called 4 shops in area and ALL of them are half of what he wants to charge me.. What should I do?

I've PM'd you my suggestions.

I don't see why you would need a spindle. It sounds like a repair shop you go to twice, first and last time.

Just replace the bolt. Most shops just say wheel bearings are bad to get money. I've had that happen during state inspections many times at shops I've never been to. When I tell them thanks for the info, I'll change it myself they say "oh well I guess it should last a mother few thousand miles." It bugs me people do that.

Back