Brakes too hard ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brakes too hard ??

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Hi
This summer I changed my rear drum pads in my 1992 explorer. A month ago I changed my front pads and made the discs resurfaced. Yesterday I had a leaking caliper so I changed it and bleeded only this caliper because there was still brake oil in the reservoir. But now its braking too muh i think... I roll at 20 kilometers per hour in my driveway and I press only a little on the brake pedal and I almost slam my head on the steering.... Any ideas???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bon jour!

:D

I need to hear the answer to this too... but maybe the bleeding and refill(?) has something to do with it.

I'd say that it is a sticky caliper and/or a bad residual valve.

I've never seen Explorer brakes that grabby...

Also, are the rears jacked up hard? If so, you might want to back them off a couple of turns. You have to use a brake spoon and a small screwdriver in through the rubber plug hole in the rear of the backing plate. Back off the adjusters a couple of clicks and see what happens.

Oh, and I typically replace calipers in pairs so they pull evenly. I'm not real big on one-side brake jobs of any sort.

Driver side caliper was ok and braked ok so i did not changed it ...The brakes on this side was used correctly and the dust seal of the caliper was really ok so i tought the caliper was already changed because the truck is now 210000 km's and maybe more. I changed the passenger caliper because of the leak only. Can you post a picture or a link to show me what you mean by a Residual valve? The rear brakes are correctly adjusted. When i do that i start the truck and jack up the rear. I ask to someone to push on the brake pedal and i pry the wheel with a crow bar between the studs to turn it . I loose it until it can be turn with the bar and I finish relocking it a little just to be correctly applied.

Here is a link to a good article that explains what is happening in the brake system that could cause it to drag.

Also, from what you say, I'd loosen up the rears a bit. You have them pretty tight considering that they are self-adjusting and will set up even more when you back up and hit the brake pedal.

http://www.thebrakeman.com/valvetechi

Back